Author: E.T.

Chinese Medicine Vs. Western Medicine   [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2012-7-1 19:32:06 |Display all floors
that's the journal reference

and this study reports an association only, not causation

there are potential confounders - you have to think about the happiness of people with good diets. There may be other reasons for brain differences, not just omega 3.

additionally, the abstract did not mention a "happiness area" in the amygdala.

Abstract

BACKGROUND:

In animals, dendritic arborization and levels of brain derived neurotrophic factor are positively associated with intake of the omega-3 fatty acids.

Here, we test whether omega-3 fatty acid intake in humans varies with individual differences in gray matter volume, an in vivo, systems-level index of neuronal integrity.

METHODS:

Fifty-five healthy adults completed two 24h dietary recall interviews. Intake of long-chain omega-3 fatty acids was categorized by tertiles.

Regional gray matter volumes in a putative emotional brain circuitry comprised of the anterior cingulate cortex (ACC), amygdala and hippocampus were calculated using optimized voxel-based morphometry on high-resolution structural magnetic resonance images.

RESULTS:

Region of interest analyses revealed positive associations between reported dietary omega-3 intake and gray matter volume in the subgenual ACC, the right hippocampus and the right amygdala, adjusted for total gray matter volume of brain.

Unconstrained whole-brain analyses confirmed that higher intake of omega-3 fatty acids was selectively associated with increased greater gray matter volume in these and not other regions.

CONCLUSIONS:

Higher reported consumption of the long-chain omega-3 fatty acids is associated with greater gray matter volume in nodes of a corticolimbic circuitry supporting emotional arousal and regulation.

Such associations may mediate previously observed effects of omega-3 fatty acids on memory, mood and affect regulation
(beast ex machina)

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-7-1 19:35:36 |Display all floors
lebeast Post time: 2012-7-1 19:22
and by the looks of things, this report (by Conklin) is not a placebo blind trial

it is as I suspec ...

is that why Koreans and Japs are so much smarter than Hunanese and shorty from Sichuan?
I've made my living, Mr. Thompson, in large part as a gambler. Some days I make twenty bets, some days I make none. There are weeks, sometimes months, in fact, when I don't make any bet at all because ...

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-7-1 19:40:57 |Display all floors
lebeast Post time: 2012-7-1 19:32
that's the journal reference

and this study reports an association only, not causation

I agree with you that one study does not conclusively show a cause/effect relationship.  You would want to see a body of evidence, using double-blind, randomized, placebo controlled studies.  Once the site up, I can provide more studies.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-7-1 19:43:34 |Display all floors
Revolutionar Post time: 2012-7-1 21:35
is that why Koreans and Japs are so much smarter than Hunanese and shorty from Sichuan?

now we know why they want the south china sea

they knew Mao should have eaten more fish

(beast ex machina)

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-7-2 10:22:02 |Display all floors
lebeast Post time: 2012-7-1 19:43
now we know why they want the south china sea

they knew Mao should have eaten more fish

I don't eat fish: water is too polluted.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-7-7 17:10:46 |Display all floors
This post was edited by lebeast at 2012-7-7 19:12
Ratfink Post time: 2012-7-1 12:51
How do you make a profit lebeast, you don't cure, you only relieve the symptoms, hence symptomatic ...
One thing I do agree with is that western ideas of medicine are way out of date. Almost every major pharmaceutical manufacturer is doing their best to evaluate traditional Chinese medicine and find out exactly what makes it work.  This does not bode well for the rest of the world as big medicine is all about symptomatic treatment of illness not cure or to put it another way the alleviation of symptoms not the curing of the underlying cause of an illness.   After all who wants to supply a medication that only needs to be taken for a few times to cure someone when you can have a patient for life and bleed them regularly for lots of profit with your symptomatic "cure".

As for the Chinese using stem cells as a standard medical procedure, yes they are for bone marrow transplants as is the case in the UK and Australia to name two other nations. So far this is the only application of stem cell research that has made it's way in to treatment.  This just goes to show that Chutzpah doesn't know what she or he is talking about.

As for research in the future, as China will eventually supplant the USA as the dominant economic power I for one would expect it to also over take the west in terms of medical research. This however is likely to take many years as high quality research requires not just well equipped laboratories but also high quality staff who can produce very high quality verifiable research.  An example of the problems in this area was highlighted in the last two years by Chinese officials when they showed that China has overtaken the USA in the total number of patent applications granted from research but the report also showed that the standard of research was lower than in the USA and the west.  Quality is far more important that quantity!

How do you make a profit lebeast, you don't cure, you only relieve the symptoms, hence symptomatic treatment. Why cure someone for $.50 when you can have a person shelling out 30 bucks a week for 20 years for relief of symptoms.   I am surprised you didn't pick that up from my post.

I agree with your point about profit. Getting a drug to market today is very expensive. So, this becomes a significant influence in marketing, which sadly means that strict objectivity must be sacrificed to recoup costs.

At this point, China's disregard for intellectual property (theft) is a double edged sword.

Don't count your chickens.

(beast ex machina)

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-7-7 17:12:16 |Display all floors
pretty.tree Post time: 2012-7-2 12:22
I don't eat fish: water is too polluted.

polluting water is a tragedy for everyone

(beast ex machina)

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.