Author: E.T.

Chinese Medicine Vs. Western Medicine   [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2012-7-1 15:31:48 |Display all floors
I'd be interested if there are longitudinal placebo controlled studies, even with a handful of subjects

From what I can see, there are limited studies which show a difference in size in certain regions of the brain between those with a history of high intake of omega 3 and those that don't

That does not in any way imply causation
(beast ex machina)

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-7-1 16:16:16 |Display all floors
lebeast Post time: 2012-7-1 15:31
I'd be interested if there are longitudinal placebo controlled studies, even with a handful of subje ...

I wonder if in vitro tests can shoe if EPA/DHA somehow facilitate neurotransmitter activity in neurons.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-7-1 16:17:57 |Display all floors
Are neuro-transmitter receptor sites on cell walls make use of fatty acids in their construction?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-7-1 16:31:19 |Display all floors
pretty.tree Post time: 2012-7-1 17:31
Both.

got a reference for causation?

(beast ex machina)

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-7-1 16:50:05 |Display all floors
lebeast Post time: 2012-7-1 16:31
got a reference for causation?

I've been reading paper for years on research and so forth. I read a lot of stuff at Lef.org.  

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-7-1 18:22:08 |Display all floors
pretty.tree Post time: 2012-7-1 18:17
Are neuro-transmitter receptor sites on cell walls make use of fatty acids in their construction?

this depends what you mean

Do you mean:

Gene expression of neurotransmitter receptors? (answer is clearly yes)

translation of mRNA in endoplasmic reticulum? (I don't know, but maybe yes, considering the ER itself is a lipid bilayer component of the endomembrane system)

modification in cisternae of the Golgi? (I don't know)

intracellular transport to the cell surface (I don't know, but you could look at endosomal membrane interactions with microtubular and filamentous aspects of the cytoskeleton, or endocytosis)

positioning in the membrane? (note the difference between transmembrane G protein receptors and ligand-gated) - DHA and EPA do alter composition of the lipid raft holding the G protein receptor and caveolae involved in endocytosis)

also, bigger picture, - it depends on the fatty acid itself - if you are referring to EPA and DHA - obviously they are quite different.
(beast ex machina)

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-7-1 18:49:19 |Display all floors
And it increases the size of the happiness part of the amygdala.

I tend to think pleasure is based more in the ventral tegmentum-nucleus accumbens

Both amygdalae are involved in affective appraisal, regulation, memory and motivation

I am more familiar with the studies on fear and pain, especially facial expression of fear (Le Doux)

Looking at it briefly now, I can only find one study of direct stimulation of the (left) amygdala which produced a pleasant sensation

Do you have an exact citation for "And it increases the size of the happiness part of the amygdala."
(beast ex machina)

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.