Views: 2882|Replies: 11

AT&T fined for discriminating against Muslim woman [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2012-5-7 05:14:43 |Display all floors
This post was edited by SMITHI at 2012-5-7 05:17

AT&T fined for discriminating against Muslim woman
Susann Bashir sued telecommunications giant AT&T for creating a “hostile work environment” after her conversion to Islam. (File photo)

Sun May 6, 2012

American AT&T, a leader in telecommunication services, has been ordered to pay $5 million in punitive damages for discrimination against a Muslim woman.

A jury in Jackson County Circuit Court on Thursday ordered AT&T to pay $120,000 in actual damages and $5 million in punitive damages for discrimination against Susann Bashir, a Kansas City woman who converted from Christianity to Islam.

Susann, 41, had sued AT&T unit Southwestern Bell for a pattern of offensive and discriminatory conduct by supervisors following her conversion to Islam in 2005.

She has been a network technician in the company for six years.

Bashir said in court documents that her work environment became hostile immediately after she converted, with her co-workers making harassing comments about her religion.

She said that when she started wearing a head scarf, her colleagues and manager started calling her names like “terrorist” and told her that she would be going to hell.

"I was shocked. I thought, what is going on? Nobody ever cared what I wore before. Nobody ever cared what religion I was before," she said.

Islamophobia and discrimination cases against Muslims have been increased in the United States over the past 11 years.

MSH/JR

Relevant post

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-5-7 19:24:05 |Display all floors
Shes FUGLY as well
I'm just here for the money

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-5-7 19:30:37 |Display all floors
jay_dee Post time: 2012-5-7 19:24
Shes FUGLY as well

is she?

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-5-7 19:38:52 |Display all floors
She should wear a burka without a doubt.
I'm just here for the money

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-5-7 19:39:52 |Display all floors
jay_dee Post time: 2012-5-7 19:38
She should wear a burka without a doubt.

she remind you on your mother you say?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-5-7 19:44:07 |Display all floors
ugly @@@

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-5-7 19:45:48 |Display all floors
grb Post time: 2012-5-7 19:44
ugly @@@

well ok but that is not topic.

this is not beuty contest.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.