Views: 2728|Replies: 6

China will overtake the US to become the world's largest economy in five years [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2012-5-3 00:50:43 |Display all floors
This post was edited by Transhumanism at 2012-5-3 00:51

China will overtake the US to become the world's largest economy in five years

After years of double digit expansion China is trying to slow its economic   growth to a more sedate annual rate of 7.5pc. Jonathan Fenby, author of   Tiger Head, Snake Tails, tells Robert Miller how that will be achieved.

Video is at
Telegraph.co.uk/finance/9237790/China-will-overtake-the-US-to-become-the-worlds-largest-economy-in-five-years.html

I am NOT Chinese, and I do NOT live in China.

Use magic tools Report

June's Best Writer 2012 2016 Most Popular Member

Post time 2012-5-4 06:34:18 |Display all floors
1.5 billions inhabitants over 300 millions, it's bound to happen !
Spreading magic around the world since 2007.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-5-4 06:59:23 |Display all floors
It would be very surprising to me if the Chinese economy did not overtake the U.S. economy within the next ten years.  The simple economics of 1.3 billion consumers and producers compared to 300 million consumers and producers demands that it occur.

The real, substantial achievement is to hope that when the Chinese economy eclipses the U.S. economy, that it happens not just because there are a few very rich Chinese, but because the standard of living for the 800 million people who do not live in the big cities is raised.

That would be a good day.

Cheers

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-5-4 07:08:52 |Display all floors
And yet China is afraid of a blind man talking and an artist expressing... go figure.
Let the dice fly high

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-5-4 07:14:52 |Display all floors
Bear in mind China is technically an "extractionist economy" coming off a low base. Working in China's favour is its hard working people aspiring to a better live. That and China seems to always bend just enough to avoid a stress fracture.
Let the dice fly high

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-5-4 08:08:08 |Display all floors
ColoradoDan Post time: 2012-5-4 05:59
It would be very surprising to me if the Chinese economy did not overtake the U.S. economy within th ...

Actually, over 50% of China's population is urbanised now as recent news revealed. the fact that China will become the worlds largest economy isn't surprising. It's inevitable given the population factor.
The problem when this happens is the disenfranchisement of the not so fortunate who have yet to see this trickle down to them.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-5-5 03:18:48 |Display all floors
exportedkiwi Post time: 2012-5-4 08:08
Actually, over 50% of China's population is urbanised now as recent news revealed. the fact that C ...

ExportedKiwi: "The problem when this happens is the disenfranchisement of the not so fortunate who have yet to see this trickle down to them."

I agree.  Any government's most important job (In my opinion) is to mold the nation's environment (Economically, Educationally, Judicially) to make it as likely as possible for the ordinary citizen to advance as far as the individual is motivated to go.  I'm one of those who believes that government exists to serve the people, not that the people serve the government.

There will always be a poor element, and a super-rich element in any country.  The success of a country is measured (Again, in my opinion) by how large a proportion of the population is made up of the people that fit in between these two extremes (e.g. "The middle class").

Cheers

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.