Author: haishiwo

West follows China gov't on Bo's case?   [Copy link] 中文

Gold Medal

Post time 2012-4-25 19:33:36 |Display all floors
NE_Tigress Post time: 2012-4-25 20:18
I still have confidence in CPC. After all it's, at least it claims, it's the people's  ...
  1. Some of the reforms the government says it will make have caused strong suspicion and anxiety among the people. Will the reform benefit the population as a whole, or only a small group of people.
Copy code
Some reforms have to be made in particular in regard to the judicial system and grass-root elections (rural as well as urban areas). If this is done with care and the necessary cautious approach it would benefit China greatly. Of course it takes time and cannot be implemented within a couple of months. It's perhaps the job of the next generation of leaders.
  1. I am not against any reform that can make our country better, wealthier, more democratic, more integrated into the world and with a happier people.
Copy code
On the economic side I believe that some state enterprises can be privatized although I tend to be more cautious about rail-, water, electricity, air service etc. After all I believe that China's 'state capitalism' (I know I will now be hit by some readers) was in the past and will certainly in future be the backbone of development. Hard to convince me of the contrary.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-4-25 20:02:34 |Display all floors
satsu_jin Post time: 2012-4-25 19:33
Some reforms have to be made in particular in regard to the judicial system and grass-root electio ...

I also think we should realize general election at some point in the future, under the premise that no major upheaval or split of our country could happen. If I remember correctly, Deng Xiaoping predicted at the beginning of the reform that China may begin general election in about 50 years, that is between 2030-2040. Before that, China still has a lot of things to do.  

As for the economic reforms, or privatization of SOEs, I agreet that some SOEs can be privatized  
and laws should be worked out to ensure true fair competition between enterprises of different ownerships. But I hope the process is transparent to the public in case some people transfer state-owned assets into their own pockets by paying excessively low prices.     

Use magic tools Report

Gold Medal

Post time 2012-4-25 20:26:28 |Display all floors
NE_Tigress Post time: 2012-4-25 21:02
I also think we should realize general election at some point in the future, under the premise tha ...
  1. I also think we should realize general election at some point in the future, under the premise that no major upheaval or split of our country could happen.
Copy code
  1. If I remember correctly, Deng Xiaoping predicted at the beginning of the reform that China may begin general election in about 50 years, that is between 2030-2040. Before that, China still has a lot of things to do.  
Copy code
In any case it is utmost important to safeguard China's unity. Therefore it needs an amendment of the constitution where it must be clearly stipulated that splitting or attempting to split the country is considered an act of high treason which should be punishable with the ultimate force of the law. Yeah, Deng mentioned a time frame of 40 to 50 years.
  1. But I hope the process is transparent to the public in case some people transfer state-owned assets into their own pockets by paying excessively low prices.  
Copy code
I think full transparency is a conditio sine qua non. Anything else would rightly create suspicion.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-4-25 20:48:02 |Display all floors
This post was edited by NE_Tigress at 2012-4-25 20:51
satsu_jin Post time: 2012-4-25 20:26
In any case it is utmost important to safeguard China's unity. Therefore it needs an amendment of  ...

(Sorry I was away cooking my supper.)
  1. it needs an amendment of the constitution where it must be clearly stipulated that splitting or attempting to split the country is considered an act of high treason which should be punishable with the ultimate force of the law.
Copy code
I totally agree.  Anyway, I doubt if anybody who intends to split our country could be elected.  He/she has no chance to win an election even in a village.     

Use magic tools Report

Gold Medal

Post time 2012-4-25 20:58:25 |Display all floors
NE_Tigress Post time: 2012-4-25 21:48
(Sorry I was away cooking my supper.) I totally agree.  Anyway, I doubt if anybody who intends to  ...
  1. Anyway, I doubt if anybody who intends to split our country could be elected.  He/she has no chance to win an election even in a village.
Copy code
Always think the unthinkable. Never take anything for granted. In German there is a colloquial proverb which I like:

'Ich hab' schon Pferde kotzen sehen vor the Apotheke'.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-4-25 21:04:19 |Display all floors
satsu_jin Post time: 2012-4-25 20:58
Always think the unthinkable. Never take anything for granted. In German there is a colloquial pro ...

Hmmm, you are right. We must see to it that the amendment is made before the beginning of a general election.       

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-4-25 21:12:51 |Display all floors
satsu_jin Post time: 2012-4-25 19:07
I don't know whether I'm right or wrong but believe it is not too difficult to understand:

The ...

Who are you referring to when you say 'the west'?  Governments of the west or people?

I think you are a bit paraniod.  When it comes to our governments, they could really care less what type of government China has as long as they are getting good trade deals.  Just look at the US and Saudi Arabia.  We don't have some plot to destabilize the Saudis because they don't have a democratic government.

The hype you hear is for the home audiences, but it's mere lip service and nothing more.  It's all about scoring points at home.  We like to hear about politicians standing up for values we believe in.  But it's not real.  It's only to get votes and to fool the people that the politicians are decent people who want to see a better world.

That's all it is.  There is no real plot against China.  It's all smokescreens and mirrors.

And I agree with NE Tigress - the CPC can handle their own.  They've proven that.  

I don't see China as a victim of the west, but an equal.

Behold the turtle. He makes progress only when he sticks his neck out.

-  James Bryant Conant

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.