Views: 3959|Replies: 20

Chinese Schoolgirl Refuses Haircut, jumped out of window   [Copy link] 中文

August's Best Contributor 2012 July's Best Contributor 2012

Post time 2012-4-20 10:09:15 |Display all floors
This post was edited by DSseeing at 2012-4-20 10:14

From Sina Weibo:
Girl Jumps off Building Because School Forces Her to Cut Her Hair Short
On April 13th, 2012, at night, Shangdong Province Victory Oilfield No.1 Middle School 9th grade girl Yingying (pseudonym) jumped off from her 5th floor apartment building and died. The reason was she didn’t want to cut her hair short to obey the school rule of “boys should have crew cuts, girls should have sports cuts”. Before the incident took place, Yingying’s father received 3 text messages over 8 days from the school, requesting that the child get a hair cut.

Yingying’s mother was talking to with Yingying about getting a haircut and when Yingying said no, her mother said “not getting a haircut isn’t possible”. Yingying then became silent, and before her mother could react, she opened the window… Yingying’s father says his daughter’s class teacher has always been very earnest and responsible, as well as caring about his daughter’s education. The school’s headmaster says having a short haircut is campus culture, and that the school does not take responsibility for this kind of thing happening.

Life is what you make of it

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-4-20 10:49:36 |Display all floors
Once again the stupidity rears it ugly head in China.
ALL MUST FOLLOW THE RULES, OBEY WITHOUT QUESTION
I'm saddened for the girl and her family.
She had the courage to stand up and say NO, more of this will happen I'm sure.
I'm just here for the money

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-4-20 12:12:17 |Display all floors
This girl is a hero

Use magic tools Report

2015 Most Popular Member Medal

Post time 2012-4-20 12:15:27 |Display all floors
The next time my boss wants me to work late I think I'll jump out the window and become a hero of the working class.
If capitalism promotes innovation and creativity then why aren't scientists and artists the richest people in a capitalist nation?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-4-20 14:58:47 |Display all floors
robert237 Post time: 2012-4-20 12:15
The next time my boss wants me to work late I think I'll jump out the window and become a hero of th ...

Not a good example/

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-4-20 14:59:13 |Display all floors
Should the school be held responsible?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-4-20 16:05:39 |Display all floors
The school is not responsible... policy is policy... even if stupid. If the parent's and child were not happy with it, they could try and find another school which does not have this policy.

My highschool in the UK had rules about how people dressed, for example, students couldn't dye their hair (to stop people dying their hair silly colours). If you dyed your hair, you could be put on suspension

ALL MUST FOLLOW THE RULES

3 text messages over 8 days from the school, requesting that the child get a hair cut

requesting is not forcing.

I think the parents should have handled this situation better!
Mr. Daniel Walsh (BEng/工学学士, MSc/理学硕士)

E-Mail/电子邮箱: daniel_hs_walsh@hotmail.com
LinkedIN Profile: www.linkedin.com/in/danielhswalsh

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.