Views: 5225|Replies: 2

China and the West: Is there any real friendship except for biz bonds? [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2012-3-13 17:10:52 |Display all floors

http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/china/2012-03/13/content_14823288.htm

The relationship between China and the UK isn't a zero-sum game but should be one of respect and trust, said the Chinese ambassador to Britain, Liu Xiaoming.

"We should see each other's developments in an open and positive manner, discuss different opinions as equals and seek common ground as much as possible," Liu told China Daily as the two countries celebrated the 40th anniversary of their full diplomatic relations on Tuesday.
"China and the UK have developed a stable relationship. Our mutual understanding continues to deepen."

The political relationship between China and the UK was elevated to ambassadorial level 40 years ago, on March 13, 1972. This diplomatic relationship enabled the two countries to resolve many issues, including the transfer of Hong Kong's sovereignty in 1997.
Since then, this relationship has strengthened. In 1998, China and the UK established a comprehensive partnership. In 2004, it was upgraded to a comprehensive strategic partnership.

But some readers seem to have other opinion, "It is interesting to see so many articles from Chinese media that talk about \"good friendship\" with UK or USA or France or Japan and Canada and so on. However, those western countries always screw China whenever there is chance about China\'s human right, Syria issue or any defense issue. There is no friendship between China and those western countries but only business relationship or workmanship due to the difference in the political system. I have lived in the western country for more than 20 years and I have rarely heard of any talking about friendship with China. Western media are always hostile towards China and particularly toward Chinese government. The media here do talk about relationship with China but only business relationship and no friendship. On the political issues, the media here always talk about how to contain China and how to be reliant with USA. I have some advice to you, Chinese media, please do not mislead the Chinese people in China and make them think there is friendship with the western countries. Olympic touch rally was an example and all you could see on the western media were hostile report about Tibet and human right. Western countries and most western people only want to do business and make money out of China and Chinese. Nothing more and nothing less. Do not dream about friendship. This an advice from a overseas Chinese."

Whose opinion are you with? What attitudy do you think China should take towards the western countries?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-3-13 18:54:54 |Display all floors
my attitude is:

build your friendships based on the people you like and want to grow old with

(beast ex machina)

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-3-17 00:06:33 |Display all floors
seneca Post time: 2012-3-16 16:35
There can be no real friendship if one side demonises the other and wants them to be on a lifelong g ...
Tax the airlines for carbon pollution, you dinosaurs!

Until the 1980s, Colorado-based Molycorp Inc. supplied most of the world's rare earth minerals. Their Mountain Pass, California mine in the Mojave Desert is located about an hour away from Las Vegas. Prospectors who noticed radioactivity in the vicinity first discovered the mine in 1949.
It made history when europium from its deposits enabled televisions to broadcast in color for the first time, according to PBS NewsHour.

The company couldn't compete with China and closed their mine in 2002.

to lower the permissible content of the pollutant ammonia nitrogen per liter of waste water to 15 mg from the current 25 mg is not helpful at all.
However, from 25 to 5 mg would help to tighten pollution standards for rare earth producers.
Certainly, said regulations being considered would increase the cost of rare earth production and will raise the price of Chinese rare earth exports.

China's Rare Earth Dominance, because China now controls over 95% of the world's supplies of rare earth metals, and has placed curbs on are earth exports, creating a resource stranglehold the Developed Nation are whining...
China begun developing Rare earth mining since the 1950s, the U.S. Geological Survey estimates that China has about 36% of the world's reserves...

Perhaps the buyers may be more motivated to reopen their mines.
In 2009, approximately 125,000 tons of rare earth oxides were supplied to global industries, according to Roskill Information Services, a London-based metals and minerals research firm. Of that quantity, China supplied 120,000 tons, while Russia provided 2,500 tons, the U.S. supplied 2,400 tons, and
India provided 25 tons.
There are also rare earth mineral deposits in Malaysia, Vietnam and Brazil.

Rare earth materials are essential in U.S. military applications, like precision-guided weapons, stealth technology, and night-vision goggles.

Mount Weld mine in Western Australia is expected to reach full production  by 2012 with the potential to produce 21,000 annual tons of rare earth, enough to feed U.S. military needs, like precision-guided weapons, stealth technology, and night-vision goggles... for regime changes...
It takes about 40 muscles to smile, but only 4 to pull the trigger of a decent rifle

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.