Author: voice_cd

[Lianghui] Should Chinese kindergartens stop teaching English?   [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2012-3-9 16:22:45 |Display all floors
Let it be up to the kindergarten? It seems like the best solution to me. If someone wants their child to learn english they can place them on such a kindergarten.

Children has quite easy to learn language. The world is is full of people who learn multiple languages as child. Minorities in countries, mix-nationality families etc. If anything it might actually help children to get wider language skills early on.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-3-9 20:47:18 |Display all floors
English is today's lingua franca and very common in international trade. So if children learn that language well, they'll be able to work in China (which will be the biggest economy by the time they finish university) and also dance on the international stage. That's a huge advantage compared with children in the US who only learn one language.

The fact that I know english, german, french, chinese, swiss as well as chunks of many other languages opend many opportunities for me. So I'll most definitely let my own child learn english in kindergarten by sending it to an international kindergarten.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-3-9 20:58:58 |Display all floors
This post was edited by LCSULLA at 2012-3-9 21:01
Everynowhere Post time: 2012-3-9 20:47
English is today's lingua franca and very common in international trade. So if children learn that l ...

say, how exactly has swiss helped you on international stage?

that is to say, some people get suspicious from my 100% hannover dialect.
您买象牙 - 您杀了大象!
http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XNjU1Nzg0NDky.html - “用现代文明标准比划中国人,是严重的种族歧视行为。”
„Ich ficke wo, wen, und wann ich will, hast du mich verstanden. Auch du könntest ficken, aber du kannst es ja gar nicht, deine deutsche Genauigkeit... verbietet es dir“. Jean-Claude Juncker

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-3-9 20:59:23 |Display all floors
I agree with much of what all posters here have said although I didn't vote because I believe it's not my place to do so.
This is an issue that the parents and educators should make as it's a personal thing. The gov't cannot, and should not legislate everything, especially when it comes to raising ones own kids except for where it involves the childs safety.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-3-9 21:54:20 |Display all floors
how exactly has swiss helped you on international stage?

It indeed already did once when negotiating a project in Asia and the leading consultant to the client was Swiss too - but I must admit that such occasions are rather rare.
Anyway, because I am mainly working in finance, Swiss can still be of a certain use internationally, but it definitely wouldn't be so helpful that I'd suggest anyone to learn it. Better use that time for learning Chinese :)

From my (rather small) experience, it is always better to know your client's language, even if they know english. You can just connect to them better and make them trust you more easily, which can give you an edge when competing.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-3-9 22:07:17 |Display all floors
Everynowhere Post time: 2012-3-9 21:54
It indeed already did once when negotiating a project in Asia and the leading consultant to the cl ...

But talking about swiss you mean the client's *dialect*, don't you?^_^
Afterall, in terms of language, my hannover dialect would also be the same language.^^
您买象牙 - 您杀了大象!
„Ich ficke wo, wen, und wann ich will, hast du mich verstanden. Auch du könntest ficken, aber du kannst es ja gar nicht, deine deutsche Genauigkeit... verbietet es dir“. Jean-Claude Juncker

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-3-10 06:04:21 |Display all floors
seneca Post time: 2012-3-10 05:35
Come on, baby, we do not need any further academic studies on the matter; empirical data is availa ...

So you're saying as an ADD I'd have to be good at learning new languages?

您买象牙 - 您杀了大象!

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.