Author: jiangqihui

Alternative Music Scene [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2004-11-27 11:13:44 |Display all floors

The problem with much of the underground scene...

...is that it is unoriginal and derivative.

"Underground" music is generally supposed to be original and unique -- something that reflects the personalities and concerns of the people making the music.  But too much of China's alternative music scene is made up of people just trying to copy Western music styles.  Chinese punk musicians copying American punk musicians.  Chinese grunge artists copying British grunge artists.

In my opinion, such music should come from the soul.  Whether other people LIKE it is not important...what is important is that it should reflect YOU, and YOUR feelings, YOUR emotions, YOUR ideas.  It should not just be copying the emotions and ideas of people from other countries.

There ARE a few Chinese bands that manage to be truly original, and create their own style.  And they should be commended and respected for doing so.

But, sadly, there are too few people out there who are trying to create a unique "Chinese" music scene, rather than simply copying the Western music scene.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2004-11-27 16:40:11 |Display all floors

Yo Canadianguy

Could you recomend me some creative Chinese bands or their websites please? Thank You!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2004-12-7 16:19:23 |Display all floors

Howie B. in Chengdu and London Electricity in Beijing and Shanghai

Hey anybody got some details about the London Electricity gigs???

For the Howie B. gig in Chengdu check out

www.platypusmusic.cn

PEACE
2004120716190150.jpg

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2004-12-11 18:47:05 |Display all floors

Howie B. in Chengdu and London Electricity in Beijing and Shanghai

Try this group, Beijing Bass = Trance drum'n'bass etc

http://www.mp3unsigned.com/Showband.asp?id=2618

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2004-12-12 18:11:11 |Display all floors

hey , guy, it's true that chinese music sucks!

right now in china, there are more and more teenagers be fond of foreign pop music, such like birtney spears(****),
but there are some good bands in shanghai you can's missed, a band named ... island( sorry, i forgot it's name, it's rock style)
and Dao lang(i don't know whether you like chinese music,but this guy is really local chinese music)
i can't find more band because i don't listen chinese music, and some a** **** like jay or she or twins are really sucks, it's truth, their records are sold for kingardens.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2004-12-22 11:23:23 |Display all floors

Vote for new Chinese music

Thanks.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2004-12-31 07:29:07 |Display all floors

China has a wealth of talent

Chinese punk music is interesting

the opinion on originality is forever challenging one because the definition of originality is often decreed by
a stand point of where we feel we sit in musical evolution .......this is forgivable because we are all guilty and allowed opinion and from commercial point of view
is the foundation of the critic industry.

The blend of Chinese music with western, is carried attempted by the Chinese and western artists alike
after all, we should be searching for the best of both worlds/cultures sense the wealth and depth to talent is immense.

I love the sounds of hang on the box, sure, they are very punk, but they have a collective blend which makes them original and
fun.

Brain failure are another fun-energy band.

A very talented guitarist by the name of Gary Lucas is worth listening too
in addition to his very interesting guitar work that in places is whole inspired by traditional Chinese music,
be has collaborated with Jeff Buckley, their combined efforts timelessly worthy.

What i wait patiently for, is regardless of genre, the musician or band that brings to us the summary of "east and west collides"
will happen one day.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.