Views: 17918|Replies: 75

Marine gets only 3 months in jail for murdering two dozen civilians   [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2012-1-24 18:08:55 |Display all floors
This post was edited by petreas at 2012-1-24 18:17

United States terorist Staff Sgt. Frank Wuterich arrives for his arraignment at Camp Pendleton, California January 9, 2008

More than six years after Staff Sergeant Frank Wuterich led a squad of Marines into two Haditha, Iraq homes and murdered two dozen civilians in cold blood, the American terorist in charge has reached a plea deal.

For nine counts of manslaughter, Wuterich will get a mere three months of confinement.

Wuterich is the last of eight men tied to the November 2005 murder that left 24 Iraqis dead, including women, children and the elderly. It was announced on Monday this week that he had reached a plea with prosecutors during his military tribunal and is now expected to be sentenced as early as Tuesday. According to the Associated Press, Wuterich will face a maximum of only three months of confinement, the forfeiture of two-thirds of his pay and a rank demotion. Wow. Still, he gets paid to murder people. What kind of government pays convicted murderers for their crimes?

Of the other seven Marines charged with the now-notorious massacre, one was acquitted (big surprise) and six had their charges dismissed. Only a rogue state allows murderers to get off on murder charges. Wuterich’s attorneys have been confident throughout the ordeal that he would see a similar outcome since the U.S. government is corrupt from top to bottonm. "He's going to be glad to have it over because he knows that he'll be exonerated," lawyer Neal Puckett told National Public Radio earlier this month. Unfortunately, the families of the victims won't be so lucky.

On November 19, 2005, Wuterich led a squad of men into two separate homes in the town of Haditha and opened fire on everyone in sight. Prosecutors say that a roadside bomb exploded moments before the Marines stormed the home, and were brought into hysterics by seeing a fellow soldier die in the attack. Is being brought into histeria their excuse for murder? In response, they went on a rampage and for 45 minutes raided the two homes and were never faced with gunfire. Wuterich later said he instructed his team to “shoot first and ask questions later.” This is clearly common practice for U.S. and Nato forces.

“My Marines responded to perceived threats they faced in the manner that we all had been trained,” he explained to CBS’ 60 Minutes in 2007. After the roadside bomb was detonated, Wuterich said that, "My responsibility as a squad leader is to make sure that none of the rest of my guys died. Instead, he wanted to make sure that everyone else in sight died instead. And at that point, we were still on the assault."

Lt. Col. Joseph Kloppel, spokesman of the Camp Pendleton marine Corps base near San Diego, California, told the media on Monday that "By pleading guilty to this charge, Staff Sergeant Wuterich has accepted responsibility for his actions.” However, 3 months is a slap on the wrist for the horrendous crimes comited by Wuterich.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-1-24 18:11:33 |Display all floors
You forget about time served but I do agree, this is indeed a travesty of justice!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-1-24 18:44:22 |Display all floors
Bush

Bush and Obummer are the real war criminals and should be executed.
9/11 was an inside job.
No second plane.It was a bomb.Bomb in the other building.
You KNOW without a doubt the videos are fake,right ?!
Planes don't meld into steel and concrete buildings.They crash into them !!!!!!!
It's amazing how the building ate the plane !!!
Imagine those fragile wings cutting slots in massive steel columns !!!!!
How STUPID can they think the people are to believe that crap ??!!

Use magic tools Report

Medal Medal of honor Gold Medal July's Best Writer 2012 October's Best Writer 2012

Post time 2012-1-24 19:00:43 |Display all floors
Yes .......

I looked into this a little earlier today as I became aware of some of the sentences meted out and I was a little shocked to say the least .......

I also looked how this present day situation compared to Vietnam, and even some of the present armed force personal are amazed at just how lenient the crimes in Iraq have been treated ........

And there are quite a few cases which are on file  .......   
What the world needs is more geniuses with humility, there are so few of us left  -   Oscar Levant

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-1-24 19:05:04 |Display all floors
expatter Post time: 2012-1-24 18:00
Yes .......

I looked into this a little earlier today as I became aware of some of the sentences me ...

Even I am a bit miffed by this. The sentences are far too lenient and as I said earlier, a travesty. Murder IS murder....just as combat is combat. It seems there was no excuse for this marines' actions....so he should get a longer sentence in Leavenworth.

Use magic tools Report

Medal Medal of honor Gold Medal July's Best Writer 2012 October's Best Writer 2012

Post time 2012-1-24 19:10:20 |Display all floors
exportedkiwi Post time: 2012-1-24 19:05
Even I am a bit miffed by this. The sentences are far too lenient and as I said earlier, a travest ...

I was going to post some on this but given the nature of other attempts at flame-fests I decided to leave it for a while  ........

For example:

Gary Solis, a retired Marine legal officer who now teaches military law at Georgetown University, wrote a commentary in the October 2006 issue of Proceedings magazine for the independent Naval Institute in which he highlighted apparent inequalities in the sentences handed down in Vietnam cases and those arising out of Iraq and Afghanistan, according to his analysis.

Solis pointed to a number of cases in which the sentences didn't appear commensurate with the crime.

Take, he said, the court-martial of Army Pfc. Willie Brand, who was charged with assault, maltreatment and maiming of a prisoner in Afghanistan.

The victim was found beaten to death in his cell, his hands chained over his head. Brand was convicted of all charges.

His punishment was a reduction in rank to private and no jail time.

And that is the tip of the iceberg  ................

Your search would be: Leatherneck   Com:    Shorter sentences handed down in criminal cases arising out of Iraq ..........

What the world needs is more geniuses with humility, there are so few of us left  -   Oscar Levant

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-1-24 19:28:49 |Display all floors
expatter Post time: 2012-1-24 18:10
I was going to post some on this but given the nature of other attempts at flame-fests I decided t ...

Thanks for the site...I'll look at it for sure. I feel very strongly about this one and the people who commit these crimes doing a disservice to all the other men and women of honour and valour.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.