Views: 18727|Replies: 48

Is renting a girlfirend a good idea?   [Copy link] 中文

August's Best Contributor 2012 July's Best Contributor 2012

Post time 2012-1-9 15:43:56 |Display all floors
Young people in China are not only  pressured by work ,but also by their parents. One of the most frequent conversation remarks from a parent would be like, "Are you taking your girlfriend(or boyfriend) home this year? "

You see how deep young guys are in trouble in China?

Renting a girlfriend might be a good option for passing the Spring festival without being nagged about GF issue.

Is 300yuan worth it ? That's the price in major cities in China
Life is what you make of it

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-1-9 16:36:03 |Display all floors
If it's just to get a break from parental nagging I guess it's OK, Chinese kids have so much pressure from so many directions I can understand the why they may feel the need to do this.
On the other hand, lying only leads to more lies, be careful the path you walk.
I'm a little bit wrong and your a little bit right.
Everyone is entitled to my opinion.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-1-9 18:22:12 |Display all floors
300 RMB?300RMB?Put more 0 there may be okay, I think!
Time for GCT!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-1-9 21:08:31 |Display all floors
Why do Chinese parents (in general) appear to think that they "own" their children, even as mature adults?

They (and especially grandparents...) pamper the child by doing everything for them (see http://www.smh.com.au/lifestyle/ ... 20120109-1pqzb.html) and then nag and harrass them about their love-life.
If they do not think they are successful, then arranging a marriage (of misery for the child, but of benefit to the parents)....

Why not be grateful for a healthy and happy child or young adult, support them with love, but they need to make their own way in the world of today. After all, parents are not going to be around forever to make decisions for them.

I think it is a terrible idea to "rent a girlfriend", it is decietful and lacking honour. Most parents should see straight through the charade, if they know their child as they should do (honesty is in the eyes, not the words).

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-1-10 08:33:28 |Display all floors
RealMadrid1 Post time: 2012-1-9 21:08
Why do Chinese parents (in general) appear to think that they "own" their children, even as mature a ...

Your words sound very nice, unfortunatelly they're very far away from the chinese traditional reality. When talking about these matters, one should consider the cultural and traditional differences with our home countries to understand better some decissions taken.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-1-10 15:46:04 |Display all floors
I agree, it is a long way from "traditional" Chinese thinking - but as strong as any tradition is, it is always changing and evolving to the demands of society.

Chinese society today has evolved from what existed one hundred or more years ago, when the demands and expectations of society set what was then the "best social norm", i.e. to satisfy and please one's parents at all times.

The "80's child" is leading a revolution in Chinese society, that was sanctioned and approved by the governments of the day, through "Reform & Opening Up". Now that the children of that time are parents themselves, adapting and creating new expectations, which results in a change in the traditions.

From the comments of my colleagues in China, they do not like to do this, as it brings shame (loss of face) on their parents, in the eyes of their neighbours and other family members. All those who observe it can see that the relationship is false, as there is no love or passion in the "relationship".

It used to be traditional in Europe to go out with a large knot of wood, find a "suitable" partner, club her on the head and drag your "wife" back to the cave....... However that is no longer an accepted norm - societal pressure has forced a change of tradition.

Use magic tools Report

August's Best Contributor 2012 July's Best Contributor 2012

Post time 2012-1-10 16:01:04 |Display all floors
This post was edited by DSseeing at 2012-1-10 16:01

Chinese parents like to put a peg in a square hole. Most prarents love to make decisions for their kids.

I think this should be reformed first
Life is what you make of it

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.