Views: 5413|Replies: 4

【to get some practice at the intrinsic meanings】 [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2012-1-4 17:49:40 |Display all floors
This post was edited by 作英语的主人 at 2012-1-5 09:08

1. It's her voice I dislike, more than what she says.
A. the intrinsic meaning of [it's her voice I dislike]:
Her voice has me feeling unpleasant. 因为, dislike为非使役动词,I 是它的动作的承受者。)
Her voice causes me to feel unpleasant.
Her voice makes me feel unpleasant.

B. the intrinsic meaning of [more than what she says]:
----the way she sounds to a greater degree than what she says 根据: [more] here: to a greater degree

2. The way to be safe is never to feel secure.
First, I'm not even really sure what this phrase means off the top of my head, but I think it means that the safest thing for a person is to not feel secure and settle in any particular situation, but rather to always be observational and aware of ones surroundings so that one can adapt ones choices to the situation at hand.

And I collect some quotes on the Web:

He that's secure is not safe.

Benjamin Franklin quotes

Fear is the father of courage  and the mother of safety.

Henry H. Tweedy quotes

My working:

1. To rephrase it:   [The way in which you will be safe is the way never to feel secure.]

the first [way] is a dominator. Your being safe indeed is in it (the first way).

the second [way] is in accordance with your never feeling secure  or with your fear of the surroundings.  

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-1-5 06:11:43 |Display all floors
This post was edited by 作英语的主人 at 2012-1-5 09:10

“He that's secure is not safe.”

Benjamin Franklin quotes

Why did Benjamin Franklin say so?
I try give cause for it.
"secure" = "se" + "to take care" = free from taking care ----care 亦即对周遭“敏于心” + free from -----因为,被保护得太好,太有安全感,而失去了对周遭应有的“敏应”----就是“高枕无忧”。
[you feel secure]-----[the freeing from taking care] full of you;

所以,下面的字,可以这样来进入其核心;
"security" (of dictionary): something given as a pledge, especially for the payment of a debt;
(of my version): something given, (which) can cause the creditor to feel secure in your debt-----因为这件东西的交付,使债权人处在你的债务中,而能“高枕无忧”

注意:在句中的三个is 都有各自特定的意涵。唯一的避讳就是不能使用中文白话文里的“是”。只要你把“是”字出口。
你就此,断绝了进入英文语言核心的任何可能的机会啦!

The way to be safe is never to feel secure.
He that is secure is not safe.                        

Use magic tools Report

Medal of honor

Post time 2012-1-5 13:07:52 |Display all floors
This post was edited by jl2315 at 2012-1-5 00:10
作英语的主人 Post time: 2012-1-4 17:11
“He that's secure is not safe.”
所以,下面的字,可以这样来进入其核心;"security" (of dictionary): something given as a pledge, especially for the payment of a debt;
(of my version): something given, (which) can cause the creditor to feel secure in your debt-----因为这件东西的交付,使债权人处在你的债务中,而能“高枕无忧”

又是彻头彻尾的胡言乱语。He that's secure is not safe 之中的 secure,与你说的这个 security,是 wind/horse/cow 不相及的两回事。

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-1-5 16:32:00 |Display all floors
这真是两个风马牛不相及的含义,被你这个英语的主人硬给捏在一起了,嘿嘿。第一句里的secure,其含义是overconfident(美国传统词典),即过分自信。He that's secure is not safe的含义是过度自信并不保险,如我们俗话说“淹死的都是水性好的”;第二句中的security,按照你给出的词典解释something given as a pledge, especially for the payment of a debt,是金融领域的专用词,指借债时交给债主的质押物(pledge),如债券、股票、金银器、古玩等, 如何混为一谈?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-1-7 10:10:03 |Display all floors
This post was edited by 作英语的主人 at 2012-1-7 18:24

3. It could hardly be necessary for me, in the very outset of this address, to disclaim all disposition to offensive personalities.

直接的语感: It certainly isn't necessary that I deny my liking for unpleasant people at the beginning of this speech .

rephrased : It hardly needed for me, at the beginning of this speech, to disclaim all characters which make me offensive.

That stands for I will take the fact that offenive personalities is supposed to be part of my character.

If you question: Is “disclaim …to…” a set phrase?
No, it is not a set phrase! ([all disposition to offensive personalities] is not a set phrase)
But it (the preposition-to) is simply to be used to show a relationship between [all disposition] and [offensive personalities] and it (the preposition-to) shows "as a help to /so as to form".

That can be made in many ways as a general rule not as an English idiom use: disposition for / of offecsive personalities;
[for]-----as a help to;
[of]-----shows marking what; all the qualities of a good nurse; a gentle humour of his plays;

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.