- Registration time
- Last login
- Online time
- 115 Hour
- Reading permission
This post was edited by aki1 at 2011-12-27 12:40|
Wuzhizhou Island, in Haitang Bay, has an area of some 1.48 square kilometers (365.7 acres). With an irregular butterfly-like shape and a total coastline of 5.7 km (3.54 miles), the island is about 30 km (18.6 miles) north-east of Sanya City.
Wuzhizhou Island was known as Guqizhou Island in ancient times and the earliest records date from the Qing Dynasty (1644-1911), when a temple was built to commemorate the originator of Chinese characters, Cang Jie. Following the Qing Government's fall from power, the villagers rebuilt the temple to honor the Goddess Matsu, who bestowed good fortune on the local fishermen. From 1949 Wuzhizhou Island became an important strategic defense zone. However, from the 1990s, the island began to enjoy a completely new role as a romantic place for holiday and leisure.
As the island is in a tropical marine zone, the climate is temperate and pleasant all year round. It is an ideal place for vacation, winter swimming as well as entertainment. There are over 2,700 plant varieties on the island, including the tall trees and dense bushes. The eastern and southern parts of the island are hilly and two high mountains connect to form a peak about 79.9 meters (262 feet) high. In the west and north, the terrain is level. Soft white sand stretches as far as the eye can see beside a crystal clear blue sea, where protected coral reefs are rich in conches, sea urchins, sea cucumbers and tropical fishes of various colors.
As well as Goddess Matsu Temple, there are many places of interest to visit including the Lover's Bridge, Sunrise Rock, the Gold Turtle Stretching toward the Sea, Lover's Island and the Life Well. The Sunrise Rock is the ideal spot from which to observe the sunrise. Apart from these natural sites, swimming pools, bars, gymnasiums and other places of entertainment are available in the northwest part of the island. For those who love extreme sports local facilities include surfing，gliding，sailing and canoeing. For relaxation there is sun bathing and sea water bathing. In addition, Wuzhizhou Island is famous for scuba diving as coral reefs and brightly colored tropical fish abound in the warm water. Currently, only a third of the island has been developed.
In addition to the natural attractions of the island, tourists are certain to be pleased by the delightful catering facilities here. In the south of the island there are the Buffet Lunch Restaurant, the Pirate Bar, the Seafood Pool and the Chinese Restaurant all providing excellent food. The Summer Western Food Restaurant in the east corner and the Winter Western Food Restaurant in the west corner of the island also offer a choice of delicious food. Local caught lobsters, prawns, crabs, conch, sea cucumbers and jellyfish will make your mouth water! Furthermore, this island is rich in fruits; bananas, coconuts, mangos and other tropical fruits are plentiful and inexpensive.
For those who want to spend a night on the island, Wuzhizhou Island Holiday Center offers 81 Guest Rooms with a choice of perfect facilities. Onshore Wooden Cabin and the Presidents' Villa on the southern seashore, and other rooms located in the inner island, such as Deluxe Mountain Room and Sea-view Wooden Building are all very pleasant. Furthermore, all the rooms have views of the fine scenery of the island.
1. There are public telephones on the island, and phones in the hotel rooms are available subject to a deposit. Cell phone signals are good in the vacation village, on Sunrise Rock up in the mountains as well as on the nearby seashore.
2. There are outlets on the island where one can rent diving equipment and under-water cameras.
3. In order to avoid sunburn, sun-bloc, hats and sunglasses are necessary. Summer clothes are suitable at most times as the annual average temperature is 25C-30C. But from January to March, long-sleeved T-shirts or similar should be taken as the temperatures in the morning and evening are low.
4. It is about 38km (23.6 miles) from the Sanya Fenghuang (Phoenix) International Airport (SYX) to Wuzhizhou Wharf. It takes just over fifty minutes by taxi.
5. As there is no direct bus available from Sanya city center to Wuzhizhou Wharf, the best options are a taxi or a self-drive hire car to the Wuzhizhou Wharf. It takes about CNY50 for a one-way trip and CNY150-CNY200 for a round trip. There are ferries from 7:40 am to 6:00 pm every 20 minutes to the island. It takes 10 minutes to reach the island by ferry.
6. As well as the Wuzhizhou Wharf, the Summer Wharf with its two berths is also used to land at the island. It is open from March each year depending upon the change of seasons instead of the Wuzhizhou Wharf.
Location: Haitangwan Town (hǎi táng wān zhèn 海棠湾镇), Sanya City
Admission fee: CNY 128
Opening hours: all day
Transportation: you can take a taxi to Wuzhizhou Port and then take a ship to Wuzhizhou Island.