Views: 23495|Replies: 142

Could North Korea be the next Vietnam?   [Copy link] 中文

Medal of honor July's Best Contributor 2012 August's Best Contributor 2012

Post time 2011-12-21 00:13:45 |Display all floors
By Michael O'Hanlon
The death of Kim Jong-Il, all things considered, is good news. While the demise of any human being is not really something to celebrate, he had far too much blood on his hands to merit much mourning. His nuclear weapons activities, his stewardship over mass starvation in North Korea in the 1990s and then finally the cold-blooded murder of 50 South Koreans in two incidents last year stand out in my mind among his most despicable “accomplishments.”
To be sure, things can always get worse. North Korea could, with bad luck and bad decisions, collapse or attack South Korea. So vigilance is needed on the part of all parties, as North Korea’s leaders try to form a new government, presumably under Kim Jong-un. Working with South Korea and Japan, as well as China, we should send out messages of reassurance and underscore that, of course, we have no intention of trying to complicate or exploit the situation.
More broadly, even while keeping up his guard and remaining sober about the prospects for change, President Obama should reiterate his inaugural address language about how the United States remains ready to reach out our hand to any extremist regime that would unclench its own fist. Such language was unfortunately met with North Korea’s second nuclear test back in 2009, when originally articulated. But perhaps this time it could be different.
There is no reason to dismiss the possibility out of hand. Obama has managed, over three years, to show that he is not naive about the prospects for such rapprochement with rogue regimes, yet at the same time is open to new possibilities as with this year’s outreach to Burma. Perhaps the same thing will be possible with North Korea, eventually.
Back in 2003, George Washington University Professor Mike Mochizuki and I wrote a book called Crisis on the Korean Peninsula that laid out a broad agenda for the U.S.-North Korea relationship and the six-party talks. A few years later, now-Assistant Secretary of State for Asia Kurt Campbell and I reiterated the basic argument in a chapter in our book, Hard Power: The New Politics of National Security.
In both cases, without trying to raise false expectations, we sketched out what might be termed a “Vietnam model” for North Korea reform. It would go beyond denuclearization to include, among other things, economic restructuring within the DPRK. Should Pyongyang be interested, and take meaningful and verifiable steps towards broad reform, the outside world could gradually respond, first with a lifting of sanctions and increase of humanitarian aid, and gradually with greater economic development assistance over time.
It is worth laying out such a vision, rather than communicating only a simple tactical willingness to talk along with vague promises of a possibly improved future relationship, in coming days and weeks. Usually Washington is far too tactical and unimaginative in talking about its vision for the Korean peninsula and this is a good time to be more creative and bold. Nothing is likely to change fast, but a young North Korean leader may be impressionable. And not only Vietnam, but also China, have moved in this sort of reformist direction before from within communist systems. There may soon be hope for North Korea too.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2011-12-21 03:53:54 |Display all floors
economic restructuring

Use magic tools Report

Medal of honor July's Best Contributor 2012 August's Best Contributor 2012

Post time 2011-12-21 21:05:59 |Display all floors
Specifically the west is glad to kims death,not me.But how come you defend some ones massive heart attack or brain stroke.The above is a commentary from one analyst,offcourse an anglo western.

My personal desire is not somebodys death rather improved the countrys situation.N.Koreas nearest two neighbour develop their country in a unique manner where the Kim family tried to keep hold the power and make a prison like concentration camp.25 million people have no choice other than say yes to Kim gods.
The time is over and N.Korea  and its allies must go for reform.The peoples needs a better life like China did.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2011-12-21 21:08:15 |Display all floors
The peoples needs a better life like China did

Do you think China would help them reform?

Behold the turtle. He makes progress only when he sticks his neck out.

-  James Bryant Conant

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2011-12-21 21:11:30 |Display all floors
it is perfectly fine the way it is and may it stay that way forever

Yeah right.....

It amazes how less people care about others.  

It's all about supporting those who oppose the 'great satan'

To the detriment of their own people.

That is respected by you freaks.

Instead of actually caring about the lives of the people who live under those regimes.

Sickening.  

Behold the turtle. He makes progress only when he sticks his neck out.

-  James Bryant Conant

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2011-12-21 21:21:37 |Display all floors
JFenix Post time: 2011-12-21 21:08
Do you think China would help them reform?

not in China DNA. hahahahahahahahahahahaha
I've made my living, Mr. Thompson, in large part as a gambler. Some days I make twenty bets, some days I make none. There are weeks, sometimes months, in fact, when I don't make any bet at all because ...

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2011-12-21 21:58:40 |Display all floors
aziz Post time: 2011-12-21 21:05
Specifically the west is glad to kims death,not me.But how come you defend some ones massive heart a ...

I'm not defending it in the least.  I have learned that there are key words to be very wary of in the media when it comes to another nation. "Economic restructuring" fits that.  For future reference, "democracy" also is a key word that I am very wary of.  

I am not celebrating his death.  North Korea and South Korea should never have been separated to begin with. Never.  The people at the top that make decisions care very little for the people that do the living, the working, the breathing and the dying.  The media highlights the concentration camps and all that is wrong with North Korea and that he has harmed his own people to such a great extent.  I ask, do they care enough to look back through history to make sure that there is never a repeat?  I don't think so.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.