Author: aziz

Could North Korea be the next Vietnam?   [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2011-12-22 22:25:09 |Display all floors
Zhongdiang Post time: 2011-12-22 22:21
"And what GDP is that then" .............      

I missed that, hohohoh, a good one

Where would China be without American influence?

North Korea is the answer.
I've made my living, Mr. Thompson, in large part as a gambler. Some days I make twenty bets, some days I make none. There are weeks, sometimes months, in fact, when I don't make any bet at all because ...

Use magic tools Report

Medal Medal of honor Gold Medal July's Best Writer 2012 October's Best Writer 2012

Post time 2011-12-22 22:29:02 |Display all floors
JFenix Post time: 2011-12-22 22:15
I am.  And I'm still not understanding.

OK .........

Don't worry about it too much, try this analogy: .........  

A small supermarket with only one one branch and $500,000 annual turnover makes an annual spend of 40% on advertising ..........  So $200,000 ..........

Whereas a superstore (say) Wall mart with (guess) $20 billion annual turnover makes an annual spend of 5% on advertising .........  So $1 billion ........

In our first case the small supermarket may have a massive spend in comparison on advertising but the actual effect of that is tiny or minimal ...........

Whereas, the much smaller spend on a much larger turnover (Wallmart) is in effect massive and enough to have a huge impact ..........

And that is why the bigger stores get the advantage in real terms as their turnover affects media spend percentage and purchase cost directly ..........

So using a GDP figure to compare the US (the largest GDP in the world) to N. Korea's (one of the smallest) GDP is seriously funny ...........

It sounds good but in reality there is no comparison ...........   

Probably also why it is so easy for N. Korea to spend such a large proportion of such a small GDP ......

And of course they shouldn't do that, but they do ........

What the world needs is more geniuses with humility, there are so few of us left  -   Oscar Levant

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2011-12-22 22:42:57 |Display all floors
Revolutionar Post time: 2011-12-22 22:25
Where would China be without American influence?

North Korea is the answer.

"Where would China be without American influence"?

Perhaps the rest of the world would be better off had they only dealt with them.
Well, that's my x'masly opinion of course.

Ineed to sign off, to ALL of you boys and girls, have a nice break.
and remember, we only exchange words, noting else.
Merry X-mas and a prosperous KUNG HEI FAT CHOI.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2011-12-22 22:46:38 |Display all floors
In our first case the small supermarket may have a massive spend in comparison on advertising but the actual effect of that is tiny or minimal ...........

Whereas, the much smaller spend on a much larger turnover (Wallmart) is in effect massive and enough to have a huge impact ..........

And that is why the bigger stores get the advantage in real terms as their turnover affects media spend percentage and purchase cost directly ..........

So using a GDP figure to compare the US (the largest GDP in the world) to N. Korea's (one of the smallest) GDP is seriously funny ...........

Well of course I'm not talking of impact, but priorities.

If I have a family and I spend 40% of the budget on drugs while my kids letting my kids go malnourished, I seriously have a priority issue.

I also think our spending show our priorities are in the wrong place.  

Behold the turtle. He makes progress only when he sticks his neck out.

-  James Bryant Conant

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2011-12-22 22:49:17 |Display all floors
500 years ago, every country is an North Korea.

Now, only North Korea is North Korea

And soon no more. good riddance.
I've made my living, Mr. Thompson, in large part as a gambler. Some days I make twenty bets, some days I make none. There are weeks, sometimes months, in fact, when I don't make any bet at all because ...

Use magic tools Report

Medal Medal of honor Gold Medal July's Best Writer 2012 October's Best Writer 2012

Post time 2011-12-22 23:06:12 |Display all floors
Zhongdiang Post time: 2011-12-22 22:42
"Where would China be without American influence"?

Perhaps the rest of the world would be better  ...

And Merry Xmas to you  ......

And a happy New Year ........   
What the world needs is more geniuses with humility, there are so few of us left  -   Oscar Levant

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2011-12-22 23:21:40 |Display all floors
JFenix Post time: 2011-12-22 22:46
Well of course I'm not talking of impact, but priorities.

If I have a family and I spend 40% of t ...

Naturally .........

But a minnow like N. Korea feels the need for a large defensive military ........

Therefore they spend the kitchen on hardware instead of food  ........

Some things that made the Korean War insane were:

1) It was a civil war and not subject to UN mandates and especially with N. Korea, S. Korea, Russia and mainland China excluded from the vote ...........
2) McArthur not stopping at the 38th parallel to end hostilities .......
3) Ignoring the Chinese warning. Not to cross the 38th parallel ......
4) Leaving the Peace Agreement unsigned ......
5) Increasing military presence at the 38th parallel when N. Korea didn't have anything left in the form of a military and a land totally wasted and devastated  .......

The only sane thing seems to be that at the end of the war, the Chinese went home and didn't stay in N. Korea as a force to control the country .........

Since the end of the Korean War the only profit made from this debacle has been by the US with its continued promotion of military armaments to protect against the bogey-man and continued provocational military excercises     .........

If you want to know the US military mind-set in April 1950 just 2 months before the Korean War look up document NSC-68 on the internet .......

Your guys were itching for something to justify a larger military budget now that WWII was finished  ......

And even Eisenhower warned the American people about your own internal military dominance of government policy  .......

He called it the 'Industrial Military Complex' ..........   

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.