Author: wowzers

The Protester   [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2011-12-17 22:10:58 |Display all floors
wowzers Post time: 2011-12-17 22:02
So sorry. Another fail  You claimed "Western media" and you can't even come up with a single lin ...

CNN deleted its report because it realized it made a big fool of itself.  It's not my fault.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2011-12-17 22:29:35 |Display all floors
wowzers Post time: 2011-12-17 17:42
List of civil disturbances in the People's Republic of China (2011)
From Wikipedia, the free encyclo ...

Wowzie,

Why you're so obsessed with this kind of news? You came to China to bash the place you chose to live in? What kind of attitude is this?

Why don't you start with how many unemployed alien losers saved by Chinese people? This kind of topic much more relevant with you.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2011-12-18 00:42:55 |Display all floors
liuyedao Post time: 2011-12-17 22:29
Wowzie,

Why you're so obsessed with this kind of news? You came to China to bash the place you ch ...

Yawn. More personal attacks. Nothing to say on the topic. Ta ta.
Good Gweilo: My job is the ideological quality control

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2011-12-18 00:52:11 |Display all floors
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424053111904103404576560573065518228.html

CANADA NEWSSEPTEMBER 10, 2011Canada Suffers Surprise Job Losses
By PAUL VIEIRA OTTAWA—Canada's economy shed jobs in August, pushing up the unemployment rate to 7.3% from 7.2%, Statistics Canada said Friday, in a sign Canada's job-creating machine has stalled.
The loss of 5,500 jobs last month bucked market expectations for a 21,500-job gain, and represented the second straight month of less-than-encouraging employment data. The rise in the jobless rate was the first in seven months; analysts expect it to drift higher in the coming months on weaker growth.
The bulk of the lost jobs were private-sector, part-time positions. Softness in construction, transportation and the natural-resources sector weighed on the August results.
Adding to the Canadian economy's woes were dismal productivity figures, also released Friday, indicating that output per hour worked in the second quarter dropped by the biggest amount in five years.
"Weak jobs and weak productivity are a depressing combination," said Douglas Porter, deputy chief economist at BMO Capital Markets.
The data delivered another blow to Canada, which had been one of the stalwart economies among developed, industrialized countries. As recently as February, Canadian policy makers had boasted about how the economy recouped the 428,000 jobs lost during the 2008-09 recession.
But Canada's gross domestic product shrank in the second quarter on weak exports, joining earthquake-struck Japan as the only Group of Seven economies to decline in the April-to-June period.
August was marked by dramatic volatility in financial markets, due mainly to concern among traders about policy makers' ability to deal with fiscal woes in the U.S. and Europe. Economists say this dent in confidence has yet to work its way through the economy.
The Bank of Canada left its key policy rate unchanged this week, stating the need to raise rates had "diminished," as a slowing U.S. and global economy present a drag on exports.
Prime Minister Stephen Harper said his government would be "flexible" in managing domestic economic policy amid a fragile economy. His Conservative Party recently won a majority mandate on a promise to cut spending and return to a balanced budget by mid-decade,
At the G-7 meeting in Marseille, Canadian Finance Minister Jim Flaherty said the country's economy is "managing relatively well" despite the small August job loss. He highlighted the net gain in full-time jobs for the month.
BMO's Mr. Porter said even though the monthly decline in jobs in August was fairly small, it is another sign that momentum in the job market is fading as the global economy weakens. "I wouldn't expect a quick return to strong hiring through the rest of the year.We will be lucky to see much job growth at all," he said.
Meanwhile, Canadian labor productivity fell 0.9% in the second quarter, the biggest drop since the second quarter of 2006, as hours worked increased even though Alberta wildfires and Japan's tsunami prompted a cut in output.
Overall, the Canadian data indicated the public sector added a net 22,000 jobs while the private sector—the key economic driver—shed a net 20,600 positions. The economy added a net 25,700 full-time jobs whereas a net 31,200 part-time positions were eliminated.
Derek Burleton, deputy chief economist at TD Bank, said the weak productivity figures "are consistent with a cooling in hiring," as businesses will likely focus spending on machinery and equipment, as opposed to labor, as it looks to make up ground in terms of competitiveness.
Mr. Burleton sees unemployment rate climbing up to 7.6% by the end of the year. "We are not dealing with a job crisis here in Canada like in the United States, but any increase in the jobless rate is not a welcome development."

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2011-12-18 01:13:48 |Display all floors

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/story/2011/10/14/bc-occupy-vancouver.html
Occupy protests gearing up for several B.C. citiesCBC NewsPosted: Oct 14, 2011 10:12 AM PT Last Updated: Oct 14, 2011 9:17 PM PT   

Organizers in Nanaimo are the latest in B.C. to announce plans for an Occupy gathering this Saturday, as the number of rallies planned for cities around the world continues to grow.
Demonstrators are pledging to gather in Diana Krall Plaza in downtown Nanaimo at 11 a.m. PT on Saturday. Similar protests are already planned for Nelson and Kelowna, Victoria and Vancouver.
The protests have been inspired by the Occupy Wall Street protest in New York where protesters have been camped out for a month protesting the financial practices that they say led to the global economic crisis.
They blame corporate greed and political influence for increasing poverty, unemployment and homelessness around the world.
Since then the idea has spread
to an estimated 1,500 cities around the world including at least 15 across Canada, with many planning events for October 15.
Police presence plannedVancouver Mayor Gregor Robertson issued a statement on Friday morning saying while he respect the protesters' concerns and their right to free speech, in light of the damage done at the recent Stanley Cup riots, police will be on hand to ensure the event remains lawful.
"In these turbulent economic times, I recognize and appreciate the concerns and angst that people, especially young people, feel about the economy, rising inequality, the environment, and state of the world right now. I fully support the right of people to demonstrate those concerns publicly and peacefully."
“However, we know from our experience with the Stanley Cup riots and the protests that marked the start of the Olympic Games that large gatherings can sometimes attract small groups of people determined to use these avenues for their own violent ends.
“Violence, whether against people or property, will not be tolerated and will only detract from those who wish to legitimately express their opinions."
The Vancouver protest is set to start outside the Vancouver Art Gallery, followed by a series of marches down Howe Street and to other downtown locations. A tent city might also be set up on the VAG front lawn on West Georgia Street.
Police are promising to react quickly to any criminal acts that might occur during the Occupy Vancouver protest and are asking people not to wear masks to conceal their identities.
"The VPD is encouraging participants not to wear masks and discouraging anyone around them from doing so," said Const. Jana McGuinness.
Police are also asking protestors to use cellphone cameras to capture any criminal acts, much like what happened during the Stanley Cup riot. McGuiness says there will also be street cameras in place.
It is not yet known how large or how long the protests in Vancouver and other B.C. cities will be, or how many police will be deployed.
Last week organizers did meet with police and businesses in Vancouver
were warned to be prepared for large proteststhis weekend.
Vancouver magazine sparked global movementIn Canada, unemployment, and home foreclosures have not reached the levels as they have in the U.S., leading many observers to question how relevant the concerns expressed in New York are for those living north of the border.
But what is not well-known is that the movement can actually trace its roots to Vancouver.
This past summer the staff of
Adbusters magazine reached out to the magazine's network of activistsaround the world with a social media campaign modelled on the popular protests in the Middle East that recently overthrew several dictators.
Watching the phenomenon come full circle has been both surreal and exciting, for Adbusters co-founder Kalle Lasn.
"I kept on wanting to go to New York, and now instead of me coming to the occupation, the occupation is coming to me," he said.
"This idea of occupying the iconic centre of global capitalism ... there was something magical about that right from the start, so I knew something very special would happen there on Wall Street, but I had no idea that it would spread to hundreds of cities all around the place and become this possibility of a global mind shift."
Growing economic inequality a key concernArmine Yalnizyan, an economist with the Canadian Centre for Policy Alternatives, says widening economic inequality is a global trend, even in Canada.
"There is a lot of economic growth that was happening before the recession, but increasing the gains are being concentrated in the hands of a small number," said Yalnizyan.
"A lot of people, especially in countries like Canada are not seeing the growth. And that's what we are all told we should be shooting for – more economic growth."
UBC law professor Joel Bakan says commercial airline pilots have been marching alongside nurses in New York, reflecting widespread concerns that corporations and wealthy individuals are controlling an increasing amount of the world's wealth and resources while wages and working conditions have been steadily declining.
"A lot of the wealth of our society, and not just the money, but the environmental wealth and the public good and what not, are being siphoned off into profit by corporations. And so it's really I think what people are asking for is a rebalancing," says Bakan.
"What unites all of these things is that people want to live decent lives, secure lives, lives where they have shelter, where they have a clean environment, where they have access to education, where they have access to healthcare, and they are not getting that in our current society," he said.
Meanwhile in New York on Friday Mayor Michael Bloomberg said a planned cleanup of the private park occupied by the Wall Street protesters was postponed after the park's owners received threatening calls from the city's elected public officials.
But In Denver dozens of police in riot gear herded protesters away from the Colorado state Capitol grounds, arresting about two dozen and dismantling their encampment.
Now we know why, wowzie is in China to escape unemployment in Canada.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2011-12-18 07:48:54 |Display all floors
wowzers Post time: 2011-12-18 00:42
Yawn. More personal attacks. Nothing to say on the topic. Ta ta.

There's nothing to say about the topic because it's a NO topic.

There are proetests in China, yes, so what? Avtually I can see people "protesting" every single day in my local market agaisnt the prices; they get together in small gathering and "protest" the cost of life!
Grow up Wowzers.........take it or leave it! China is no longer the western backyard.....that ended in 1949!

Two or three nutters shouting makes news around the world as if it was millions, but China has 1.3 billion people 99.9% of whom are living in peace. Unemployment in this country is among the lowest around the world and I can see, every day, the people get along with their life happily.

Of course you are not happy. Because you are not a part of this. Accept it! As I do, I live here, thank the government for giving my family the right to stay and work here and enjoy life.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2011-12-18 09:20:24 |Display all floors
longzhou Post time: 2011-12-18 07:48
There's nothing to say about the topic because it's a NO topic.

There are proetests in China, yes ...

Hahaha. NO topic. No inequality. No injustice. No reason to protest. Move along. Nothing to see here.
Good Gweilo: My job is the ideological quality control

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.