Author: cindy1225

The final 12 hours of Chinese women on death row   [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2013-1-24 16:37:58 |Display all floors
This post was edited by vincelee7676 at 2013-1-24 16:38

Selling drugs is a small  crime, but, they should NOT be put to death.   Murder other people is a crime that should be put to death. Not selling drugs.  

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-1-24 16:39:12 |Display all floors
Selling drugs is a small crime, they should NOT be put to death.  Murder other people is a crime that deserve to be put to death.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-1-30 16:10:21 |Display all floors
The mandate of governments should stop where it concerns issues that transcend earthly matters. Governments can be the master of earthly affairs but should stay away from ruling over life and death. The highest punishment any state should be allowed to oppose on its subjects should be a lifetime in jail (which I believe should only be given for murder). I hope we will see a day where capital punishment is banned everywhere. Unfortunately, we live in a world where the two most powerful and influential nations both have the death penalty.

Of course, the crimes many of the executed have committed have terrible consequences for other people's lives and happiness. Yet, a time in prison already is a sufficiently severe punishment, especially when it considers a life sentence.  A policy of capital punishment is based on the assumption that every human being has equal skill to rationally consider the consequences of his/her actions. This assumption is wrong. Many people lack the capacities to make an adequate consideration of the harm that they will cause. Therefore, society needs to be protected from these people, but this can already be done by putting them behind bars for as long as necessary. Very often it are ignorance and underdeveloped intelligence and moral skills that stand at the root of crimes, not pure evil. Therefore these people don't deserve to be wiped away from existence forever. Nobody does.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-1-31 01:31:44 |Display all floors
White people really love these pointless threads.  An emotional thrill that accomplishes nothing positive, but wastes time.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-1-31 01:55:47 |Display all floors
Galena Post time: 2013-1-30 12:31
White people really love these pointless threads.  An emotional thrill that accomplishes nothing pos ...

Galena, I must respectfully disagree with you.

This type of thread allows us to face some uncomfortable truths and to discuss them intelligently. I am an American, and we normally do not execute prisoners for trafficking drugs. However, that is the law in China, and I would suspect that these drug dealers knew that they potentially faced a death sentence if caught. They force us to think about these things and consider our own mortality as well as consider the consequences of our actions.

What I find curious was the fact that they hid the woman's eyes in the pictures to obscure her identity. She was a convicted criminal and sentenced to execution. In the USA, unless she was a minor (under 18 years old), they would not hide the pictures or try to conceal her identity.

While many Americans may not agree with the severity of her punishment, I am moved that the government would go to such lengths to protect her family's dignity.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-1-31 01:59:54 |Display all floors
it looks more or less like house arrest to me not missin much here & there  {:soso_e113:}{:soso_e120:}
a man who uses his hands is a laborer. one who uses his hands and his mind is a craftsman. but he who uses his hands, his mind, and his heart, is an artist...

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-3-21 11:27:06 |Display all floors
I don`t like this, It`s logically just against human nature. you take her life on the serious crime she has commiited, but don`t make me feel  that your life is superior than the criminal`s, after all, you are all killers.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.