Author: cindy1225

The final 12 hours of Chinese women on death row   [Copy link] 中文

Glod Medal 2015 Most Popular Member Medal of honor June's Best Writer 2012 2016 Most Popular Member

Post time 2012-7-5 20:47:53 |Display all floors
As far as I am concerned execution of criminals does not make much sense for the majority of crimes. There are a few exceptions though that should be executed, mass murderers, paedophiles, the financial backers of major drug importation syndicates, CEO's and boards of major corporations who get caught plundering the corporate till or for major corporate crimes that result in death and injury to the public and employees such as the deliberate distortion of clinical trials for financial gain and also for murdering a policeman (or woman) in the course of their duty.

Illegal drug use should be treated as a health issue, rather than a legal issue.
Per Ardua Ad Astra

Use magic tools Report

Glod Medal 2015 Most Popular Member Medal of honor June's Best Writer 2012 2016 Most Popular Member

Post time 2012-7-5 21:31:54 |Display all floors
seneca Post time: 2012-7-5 21:26
I take a far simpler stance: no killings at all of any people should ever be legitimised, full sto ...

You have a valid point, but in the emotional stakes of the general populace certain crimes are seen as being beyond the pale and should be dealt with in a cost effective manner.  In many ways I'd advocate for a narrow range of crimes almost medieval cell conditions so that every day is a torture for the person incarcerated however at a monetary level repeat rapists, paedophiles etc are too expensive to keep alive for many decades and sending them off to whatever exists after this plane of existence may be the least cruel option.
Per Ardua Ad Astra

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-7-5 22:57:02 |Display all floors
seneca Post time: 2012-7-5 22:50
My, my: Why do murder advocates always advance the "cost argument" as a factor supposedly militati ...

I actually agree with you, but I enjoy being the devils advocate from time to time. Rotting in a cell for life is far more cruel than execution in most cases.
Per Ardua Ad Astra

Use magic tools Report

Medal Medal of honor Gold Medal July's Best Writer 2012 October's Best Writer 2012

Post time 2012-7-5 23:09:51 |Display all floors
Ratfink Post time: 2012-7-5 21:31
You have a valid point, but in the emotional stakes of the general populace certain crimes are see ...

I would find myself in agreement with much of what you state ..........

Human lives are transitory and from the moment we are born we all live under a death sentence as our lives are finite with no known time-stamp   .........

Execution shortens that allotted time the same as the criminal does that to the victim(s) ........

I do not see keeping people in cells for the rest of their allotted time on earth as human rights as they have few ............

Of course the main argument against this is that some people have been found innocent .........

Therefore any system needs to be able to justify that their procedure is totally correct .......

And it gets complicated just there  ..........

What the world needs is more geniuses with humility, there are so few of us left  -   Oscar Levant

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-7-5 23:41:44 |Display all floors
expatter Post time: 2012-7-5 23:09
I would find myself in agreement with much of what you state ..........

Human lives are transitor ...

I suspect each nation has to muddle through this based on not only their own customs and views but also the maturity of the population and a host of other factors. I oppose entirely the criticism of a nation because they enforce the death penalty, it's that nations choice and as such it should be respected by others. The only thing that I would insist on is that the death be via a painless or near painless method. Death by stoning or non neck breaking noose for example is just cruel and horrific to watch first hand but they are by no means the cruellest methods available in the arsenal of depravity that human beings can dredge up as required.

As for the legal process, the entire police system needs to be revamped from top to bottom, rather than catching criminals, the police should be there to discover the truth, nothing more and nothing less. Once someone is labelled a suspect then the suspect is open to all sorts of dirty tricks by the long arm of the law as the police are human and not above fabrication of evidence to suit a case when required. Classic cases being the Guildford 4, Various inmates on death row in the USA and the Mickleberg brothers here in Australia who were all falsely accused, tried and imprisoned, or in the case of many in the USA executed.
Per Ardua Ad Astra

Use magic tools Report

Medal Medal of honor Gold Medal July's Best Writer 2012 October's Best Writer 2012

Post time 2012-7-5 23:54:20 |Display all floors
Ratfink Post time: 2012-7-5 23:41
I suspect each nation has to muddle through this based on not only their own customs and views but ...

Again I agree .........

And this has also happened in China where someone has been found 'not-guilty' of a murder and released  ..........

Therefore we agree that the death penalty is an suitable punishment for certain most heinous crimes  .........

But that the process to determine this should be a very exact science  ..............

And of course there are many cases that are simply  'cut-and-dried' ..........

What the world needs is more geniuses with humility, there are so few of us left  -   Oscar Levant

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-7-6 08:27:06 |Display all floors
expatter Post time: 2012-7-5 23:54
Again I agree .........

And this has also happened in China where someone has been found 'not-gui ...

Exactly!

One only has to look at the mess in the Land of the Free where it's estimated that up to 30% of death row inmates are innocent.  I could argue that there are possibly no more than 3 or 4  specific crimes that should have the death penalty attached, but it can also be argued that a special prison facility for such criminals that is devoid of any luxury, that is medieval level of prison accommodation would be far worse than death.

On a slightly different but related theme I would have little problem with certain business executives facing a potential death penalty for some of the more nefarious stunts pulled in the big business world.
Per Ardua Ad Astra

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.