Author: DanseMacabre

You're not qualified to judge China because you can't speak Chinese?   [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2014-9-23 09:08:33 |Display all floors
How is speaking mandarin Chinese helping me to understand Chinese people who live in for example Inner Mongolia, Xinjiang, Fujian, Shanghai or Guangdong? The language most people speak there is totally different, some old people could not even understand me if I would talk to them in mandarin.

Just open your eyes and see what people do or don't do, that's the easiest way observe what is going on.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-10-1 19:21:35 |Display all floors
To say one can't credibly judge China unless one speaks Chinese is like saying one couldn't credibly judge the US without speaking English or Germany without German or Japan without Japanese. Ridiculous.
What's on your mind...

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-10-6 06:55:47 |Display all floors
Language is obviously related to culture. If you understand the language, you understand the culture much better. How can you understand the people of a place if you can't understand what they are saying. If you only go by secondhand experiences, meaning what you know is only from what you've read or heard, then how can you say that it is YOU who understands...you are using other people's experiences...you can only be a messenger.

But to truly understand a culture, I do think you need to be raised in it...otherwise, you can pick up the pieces here and there, after living in a certain place for some time, but the understanding still can't be as good as people who have been born and raised there...

I try to keep an open mind, but I think we do judge others, but in the end, no one has the right to judge another, even those who are close to you, because we're not in their shoes, and we don't know what they've gone through.

If you want to judge China's politics, that is a different matter. But here I assume we mean the Chinese people.
There is progress whether you are going forward or backward; the thing is to move.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-10-31 10:31:17 |Display all floors
Reminder: Author is prohibited or removed, and content is automatically blocked

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-11-10 23:31:49 |Display all floors
I agree with what was said before : Language and culture are tightly intertwined. There are cultural references, behaviors that can only be explained because you know the language and know what some sentences mean.
Studying from an outsider point of view is not enough if you want to acquire a true understanding of the country you are in. You won't get the chance to scratch the surface. And that's too bad really

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-12-16 08:34:16 From mobile |Display all floors
DanseMacabre Posted On 2011-12-19 12:45:42
georgiajad Post time: 2011-12-17 09:21      
You people do understand there is a subject called ant...

lol u r so funny.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-6-2 05:54:29 |Display all floors
So, I would not have been qualified to judge the German extermination of 6 million Jews because I don't speak German or the Japanese Nanking Massacre because I don't speak Japanese. Get off it!
What's on your mind...

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.