Views: 9232|Replies: 16

Rock & Roll [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2011-11-22 19:46:41 |Display all floors
Discuss here about rock music (any type) and what we like. I will go on posting about the bands and artists I like and how they affected my life at different times.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2011-11-22 20:34:22 |Display all floors
1970s - I was just a little boy at that time but music was very present at home.  It was in the form of the old vinyl records; singles and LPs. My parents had very "eclectic" tastes, to say the least, so I grew up listening to my dads huge collection of classical music and my moms more "romantic" choices of Italian artists like Adriano Celentano. At it was with Celentano that I discovered rock&roll...or better an latinized form of rock.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2011-11-22 20:40:19 |Display all floors
1970s (cont) - My best friend at those times was a guy named Carlos......he was like a hero for me...I must have been around 6 and he was like 11 or twelve. We both had this small motorbikes (25cc Montesa) that we rode around the town, he could literally get up anywhere, I admired him for that. But what amazed me more of him was the music he was always listening to. A band named Rolling Stones. What was that? "Simpathy for the devil" ("Pleased to meet you, hope you got my name......"). He had all those records because his sister used to travel frequently to London for studies and brought them back with her.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2011-11-23 19:32:02 |Display all floors
1980s - A little bit tired of the more sort of pop-rock that the Rollig Stones were getting into and the fact that other artists were following similar ways, Police, Queen, etc., towards more "commercial" terrains, I decided to explore the wild side of rock. My first big "trip" was with Ramones. I like the way the punk side of the guitar is welded with the rock sound of the drums. Some mythic songs by Ramones that went with me to school with those huge walkmans like "Come back baby", "The KKK took my baby away" or the really famous "Do you remember rock&roll?"

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2011-11-23 19:37:21 |Display all floors
1980s(cont) - I then went into explore the heavy side of rock&roll........Scorpions, Led Zepellin, Rainbow, Whitesnake and the mythical australian band AC/DC.
One of the rythms that also caught my "musical nose" was ska. Ska kings, for me, Madness were the most at those times. Meanwhile I kept on going to concerts both at home (less) and abroad and driving my parents crazy, coz for a well establish middle class family, it was a sort of torture to have a kid with long hair, shabby jeans, torn t-shirts and black leather jackets full of badges running around Europe with just 15 years old together with a troupe of guys that were the closest thing that would resemble to criminals you would expect at those times.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2011-11-24 13:37:39 |Display all floors
1985-87 - That was the year I joined 2 organizations that changed my life quite a bit. First the army; my hair was cut, my clothes dumped and there was no going out except when the sergeant wanted to let you out. The scond was university. There things were different.......we set up a rock band and had the time of our lives, including a small number of grouppies (girls that follow a band). We never made it to the billboards but we had a hell of fun going around the music bars of town making noise!  At those times I was already more and more influenced by the one I consider a "true rocker" and inspiration as a frontman.....Paul Rodgers. I had heard him singing with Bad Company but his solo concerts were just magnetic. At those times, once back from the army, I bought my MG-B roadster and the Harley bike........life was all about rockin around the clock!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2011-11-24 13:41:40 |Display all floors
1990s - The news of the death of Freddie Mercury was quite a shock, since it seemed that would be the end of Queen...a band I admired for their capacity to mix perfectly well hard rock and pop in their concerts and still seem the real thing.  In 1996 I travelled across the US in one of those "dream" road trips that I had rad in Kerouak's books. I ended in LA only to doscover one of the bands that I have had a "crush on since then; GOLDFINGER. It's amazing how these guys can combine, rock, punk-rock and punk-ska-rock altogether.

Use magic tools Report

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.