Author: linda_sun

How to improve my English?   [Copy link] 中文

CD top contributor in April

Post time 2016-1-3 17:08:56 |Display all floors
Do more practice.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2016-1-3 17:21:36 |Display all floors
Don't waste your time online.
Get out of your room and practice with real people.

Use magic tools Report

Blogger of 2013

Post time 2016-10-10 21:58:42 |Display all floors

Free Book on Learning English Faster, Easier and Happier!
Also, FREE daily oral English practice lessons.

WeChat ID: BigTEXZZ

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2016-12-30 10:11:23 |Display all floors
thanks

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-2-8 06:22:22 |Display all floors
Hello, I am an American who has taught TESOL and also who has had the experience of learning several languages as an adult, so I speak from the perspective of both teacher and learner.

The first question I would ask is, when you say you want to improve your English, whether you mean your ability to communicate orally or in writing. These require two different approaches.  (Surely this is true in Chinese as well -- improving spoken communication in Chinese or improving the ability to read and write in Chinese would surely require a different focus.)

In speaking, in informal conversations, the important thing is to communicate, and correct grammar is not so important if it doesn't interfere with the meaning.  Americans are often careless with grammar in informal conversation and will not judge your grammar mistakes in a conversation.  That is important to know because second-language learners are almost always self-conscious and afraid of speaking because they are embarrassed about possibly making a mistake.  So it helps enormously if you have a sense of humor and are ready to laugh about mistakes and see the humor in mistakes whenever possible.  Americans love people who are humorous and not afraid to laugh at themselves and see the humor in situations, that is a quality that can help to make you seem endearing to Americans.

Inside your own mind, to learn to speak a foreign language easily and fluently, it is necessary to put yourself into the frame of mind of a baby who is learning to speak for the first time.  As both a learner and a teacher, I believe that the reasons that adults have a hard time learning a new language, while children learn new languages easily, is that most adults are unable to put themselves into the state of mind of a small child learning how to talk for the first time.  The child does not worry about speaking correctly, the child only wants to communicate.  The more the child uses the language he knows, the better his communication skills become.

Now, the above is meant to apply to improving communication skills in spoken English.  Written English is a different story.  Grammar mistakes are more noticeable in the written language.  The meaning may be clear enough even with grammar mistakes, but you will impress people much more if your written English is correct.   A lot of the subtleties of English grammar and syntax cannot be learned by memorizing rules.  But one way to learn them is to work with a tutor who also is an editor, who can edit  your English-language writing and explain why this phrase should use "of" instead of "in," for example.  (I have done this kind of tutoring myself, as well as just editing.)  But outside of that, just reading a lot of English will help to give you the intuition and feel of English syntax.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-2-14 12:17:49 |Display all floors
There are five parts in learning any language. They are reading, listening, speaking, writing and understanding. You are not the only one in China who finds learning English difficult. Majority of Chinese find it, too! However, they seem not to care. Frequently, told to me is that English is important but it seems not to be used in daily conversation while in China. That is the truth. Most of us do wish that English is easy.  To improve your English, you need to build your vocabulary. Please learn the meaning of words explained in English but not Chinese. A common error of Chinese learning English in China. Reason is your foreign friends do not know Chinese. Listen to English programs daily, if there is the written form to help you understand, all the better. Read, speak, write and understand through exercises. A set of good grammar text should be of great assistance to you!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-2-22 23:37:26 |Display all floors
greatlady Post time: 2011-11-22 23:58
增加你的词汇量对提高口语有很大的帮助。

This is one of the most important aspects in English language.
Unlike Chinese language, English language apparently is easy at entry but as you proceed to elementary to immediate, it gets difficult.
Terminologies kill interest. One simple solution is build your vocabulary. It is the key to understanding because it holds the meanings and explanations to use correctly.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.