Author: DanseMacabre

How do you say "Hello" in Chinese?   [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2014-6-28 23:06:49 |Display all floors
Ni hao or Nin Hao

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-7-19 10:12:46 |Display all floors
This post was edited by cruising at 2014-7-19 10:36

interesting, i didnt even know it was a greeting. i just did what others did. every time i saw my grandma, i would say, "grandma, have you eaten?" same when i talked to her on the phone, theres no "hi" or "how are you". although we dont speak mandarin but another chinese dialect.

edit. now that i think about it, sometimes it is enough to just address the person by their relationship to you. i would just say "grandma" when i saw my grandma, for example, and that was enough as a greeting. i think "ni hao" is a western influence and a new thing, though i dont know mandarins history.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-8-15 14:32:27 |Display all floors
"Ni chi le ma" is often used when you know the person well. ni hao  is both official and polite, used with people you are not so familiar.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-10-15 11:09:19 |Display all floors
In fact, when we meet or talk to the phone with some one we know well, we just say:"zen me yang?怎么样?", like"what's up, man" in English, rarely use "ni hao".

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-12-14 06:51:52 |Display all floors
How do I say hello in Chinese, you ask.

With my normal voice. How do you say hello in Chinese?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-12-13 14:17:29 |Display all floors
Reminder: Author is prohibited or removed, and content is automatically blocked

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2016-6-30 13:29:46 |Display all floors
In the morning, people may say "zao" just like English says morning or how are you!
In the noon of day,people may say "ni chi le ma"just like english says have you got eaten something?
In the evening of day,people just like the noon of the day to say "ni chi le ma"
There are just the same style to greet for all over the world.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.