Author: username7

Very caring and brave Chinese, defininely not indifferent   [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2011-11-11 21:59:15 |Display all floors
Why the wife of a blind man(who was jailed  more than 4 years for the crime of destruction of property and assembling a crowd to disrupt traffic), put in house detention for more a year? She hasn't committed crime. She can't bring her daughter to school.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2011-11-11 22:34:37 |Display all floors
"Chen Guangcheng was blinded at a young age in Linyi and learned massage in Beijing, one of the few subjects those without sight in China are allowed to study. But Chen was fascinated by law and while in Beijing sat in on several university law courses. Returning to Linyi, he became a legal activist, advising peasants on land and tax disputes. In March, a stream of distraught peasants complained to him of forced sterilizations and the detentions of family members. Chen, 34, had heard about the campaign; many people in his village, he told TIME, had been imprisoned at one time or another for defying the sterilization order."

So  the authorities told the thugs that Chen was a traitor because he connected Time magazine reporter? If Chen couldn't get his voice through local media, why blamed him for accepting interview from foreigners?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2011-11-13 06:45:37 |Display all floors

Who are Chen Guangcheng's Chinese supporters?

I recall they are lawyers, writers, netizen, rights defenders, scholars, reporters. One reporter Shi Yu in a 11-person group tried to visit Chen. After that he was under pressure to resign from his post.

Writers like Sha Yexin and Zhang Yihe didn't go there perhaps they are too old to try but they expressed their strong support for Chen.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2011-11-14 10:15:21 |Display all floors
Chinese novelist Murong Xuecun and 3 men and 1 woman went to Dongshigu village trying to see Chen Guangcheng on Oct 15. He wrote about the experience. A translation in English along with Chinese can be found at
www  .guardian. co.uk/commentisfree/2011/nov/11/chen-guangcheng-china-visit

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2011-11-14 10:18:44 |Display all floors
(not that brutal as others had experienced)

My visit to Chen Guangcheng

The blind Chinese activist Chen Guangcheng has been placed under house arrest after highlighting official abuses. The novelist Murong Xuecun, one of many supporters to attempt to visit him, describes his brutal experiences along the way

* Comment is free
    * liberty central

My visit to Chen Guangcheng

The blind Chinese activist Chen Guangcheng has been placed under house arrest after highlighting official abuses. The novelist Murong Xuecun, one of many supporters to attempt to visit him, describes his brutal experiences along the way

* Murong Xuecun
    * guardian.co.uk, Friday 11 November 2011 12.47 GMT

Popular Chinese novelist Murong Xuecun is one of scores of people who have recently tried to visit Chen Guangcheng, a blind lawyer who fell foul of authorities after highlighting official abuses and is now living under house arrest with his family, guarded by scores of thugs.

Planning the visit

On the evening of 14 October, I was lecturing at the University of Qingdao Haiyang. During question time, a student asked me, "Will you try to go see Chen Guangcheng?" Taken off guard, I spent the next few minutes mumbling something, without answering whether I was going, or not going. My ambivalence embarrassed me. I'd defended Chen Guangcheng once on Weibo but it was a trivial and superficial expression of solidarity. Right now, he is sitting alone in a dark cell. I'm sitting in a bright room sipping a cup of coffee.

Some people say that Chen Guangcheng's encounter with the government is our own encounter with the government, so to visit him is to visit ourselves, our better selves. But at the time, I couldn't decide whether or not I wanted to go see him. I had my worries. I made my own petty calculations. I didn't want my books to get banned. I didn't want to become a "sensitive topic". I'd been invited to lecture in several countries. Most importantly, I was scared. I'm scared of pain, scared of getting beaten, scared of losing my freedom. Some people might feel that I'm being dramatic. It's just paying someone a visit, right? That's a normal person's normal logic. But in this abnormal world, the spectacle of visiting one's friend is indeed this dramatic. I don't want to make excuses for my weakness. I live in this kind of world and I carry with me the deep knowledge that freedom is precious, even if it's a hopeless kind of freedom, the kind that exists only through cracks. Once I told a story I called "The Prisoner and the Bone". A prisoner on death row is thrown a bone, and is willing to kneel on the ground with that bone until he dies. I was that prisoner, kneeling on the ground and licking that bone. For a little fame, some benefits, a little protection.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2011-11-14 10:19:44 |Display all floors
A couple hours after the lecture I saw Wang Xiaoshan at Qingdao's Grand Theatre. We started talking about Chen Guangcheng. He said: "We all owe him our moral duty." I agreed, but I still hadn't made up my mind whether or not I was going to go see him. Neither had Xiaoshan. I felt awkward, and was sure he felt the same way.

The next afternoon I had lunch with Xiaoshan, Enchao, Zhongqiang and Miss Nuola. We hit it off right away, and somewhere during our meal, we decided to go to Linyi, to Dongshigu, to visit that tormented yet fearless hero. I was chicken, and needed a lot of encouragement from the others. We objected to Miss Nuola's insistence on coming – she's slight and delicate and physically didn't look up to the trip. But she was unrelenting: "You can go but I can't? If you don't take me, I'll find a way and go alone!" Zhongqiang brought up Liu Shasha, arguing that women shouldn't involve themselves with something this dangerous. Dongshigu is stuck in a time thousands of years away from us: they could easily pull something dirty, punch us in the head, kick us in the nuts, rob us, frisk us! Nuola was unmoved: "I'm not scared! Anyway, I'm going, with or without you guys!" The scene got awkward, and lightheartedly I interjected: "OK, OK! Let's just all go! It's just threat and danger right? What's the big deal? It's not as if they're going to throw rocks at eggs." Nuola's eyes brightened: "Exactly! It's not as if they're going to throw rocks at eggs."

Zuo Yeben got a van for us, and helped us plan our trip. To prevent the unexpected, Wang Xiaoshan and I left our wallets and credit cards with our friend Yang Ruichun. We took our IDs and some cash. We mulled over the prospect of travelling back to a previous age. Inside, each of us tried to give ourselves a pep talk: the worst thing that can happen is that you get a beating. Don't be scared.

The car came an hour later. Zhongqiang said: "We need to prepare ourselves for the possibility of a beating. Expect to get hurt and to be put into detention. Enchao added: "And be prepared for the possibility of getting things shoved up our asses." I joked: "And be prepared to like that feeling. Be prepared to wind up chasing that feeling for the rest of your lives." The things we said were very crass, but funny. We all laughed.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2011-11-14 10:20:13 |Display all floors
We entered Lingyi at dusk. The city was shining. There were ads everywhere extolling "The Grand Beauty of Lingyi", "The Culture of Lingyi", "Lingyi Lifestyle". A large screen broadcast the words "A Civilised People Create a Civilised City." I thought about Chen Guangcheng, and couldn't help but feel that this city had its own brand of black humour.

We booked three rooms at a hotel in the centre of the city. Nuola slept in one room by herself. Xiaoshan and I stayed together in room 1310; Enchao and Zhongqiang stayed together in room 1317. Out of the four men, Enchao and Zhongqiang have their names blacklisted on the internet. Afraid that someone on the staff might search their names, we decided to use Xiaoshan's and my ID to register (Both of us use pen names. His name is Han Chunsan. My name is Hao Qun.) The middle-aged man registering us would not stop staring at me.

Feeling heavy in the dead of the night, we came to the agreement that no matter what, we would not raise our fists in retaliation. If they beat us, we'd bear the beating. If they beat us too much, we'd run. If we couldn't run, we'd leave it up to fate. Some people accuse us of doing all this for show, but at the time, we really did prepare ourselves, prepared to bleed, prepared to suffer pain. We just wanted to verify what it takes in this country, at this time, to visit an imprisoned "free man". But it was not until the end that we learned the outcome and truly understood the distance spanning between us and Chen Guangcheng. It was exactly like as Enchao said: The longest distance in the world was from the gate of his village to his house.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.