Views: 6279|Replies: 40

Should he be sentenced to death? [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2011-4-22 15:40:28 |Display all floors
I am not for death penalty, and even in this case that has sparked heated debate nationwide I don't think death penalty is panacea and there are much more we should think about.

Chinese student sentenced to death over murder
(Xinhua)
XI'AN - Yao Jiaxin, a university student who murdered a young mother after accidentally running into her with his car in October 2010, was sentenced to death on Friday by a court in Xi'an, capital of northwest China's Shaanxi Province.

Yao, 21, a student at the Xi'an Conservatory of Music, ran into cyclist Zhang Miao while driving his Chevrolet Cruze at around 10:30 p.m. on October 20 last year. Fearing that Zhang would remember his license plate number and report him to authorities, he stabbed her to death, according to the Intermediate People's Court of Xi'an.

The court also handed down a life-long revocation of Yao's political rights in Friday's first instance judgment and ordered Yao to pay 45,498.50 yuan ($6,983) in compensation to Zhang's family.

Yao fled the scene after stabbing the victim and injured two others as he hurried to drive away. He denied the murder in an interview with police on October 22, but surrendered himself to police in the company of his parents and admitted to the killing the next day, the court said. Yao allegedly admitted to killing the woman because he feared the "peasant woman would be hard to deal with."

On the night of her death, Zhang, 26, the mother of a two-year-old boy, was returning home from her temporary job as a cafeteria assistant at the Chang'an campus of Northwest University.

Police said she suffered only slight injuries from the traffic accident, including a small fracture to her left leg.

Yao did not try to help the victim after hitting her, but instead resorted to murder to silence her, making his crime extremely serious and eliminating the possibility of a lessened punishment, the court said Friday. Criminals who turn themselves in are occasionally granted lesser punishment than those who do not.

"The motive is extremely despicable...the measures are extremely cruel...and the consequence is extremely serious," the court judgment said.

Use magic tools Report

Gold Medal September's Best Writer 2012

Post time 2011-4-22 20:52:24 |Display all floors
1. Supposed one guy X knocked down anther poor guy Y in the street.
according to the present written laws,
If guy Y died, Guy X would would pay RMB 40,000 to guy Y family.
If guy Y were disabled, Guy X would probably pay RMB 1,000,000 to guy Y.

So some Chinese prefer to knock down another guy to death.

2. sth I have mentioned in another thread about Yao law case.
e.g.
there is zero and little dealth penalty in a harmonious society.
Now China is far away from a harmonious society.
A harmonious society is one of our Chinese major objectives.

[ Last edited by 468259058 at 2011-4-22 08:53 PM ]

Use magic tools Report

Medal Medal of honor Gold Medal July's Best Writer 2012 October's Best Writer 2012

Post time 2011-4-22 23:06:15 |Display all floors
Originally posted by vincent001 at 2011-4-22 15:40
I am not for death penalty, and even in this case that has sparked heated debate nationwide I don't think death penalty is panacea and there are much more we should think about.
Chinese student ...

Wow ...............

Pre-meditated murder and the fact that the person was callous enough to do it ............

I cannot see that the law is wrong here .........

Although I feel slightly uncomfortable with the overall idea ........

If the family of the slain (as in some Arab laws) pleaded for closure and incarceration of the murderer ........

Then I am sure that many could feel more comfortable with this  .........

But law has to be equitable for all ........

And not just based on media exposure  .............  

Another xiao huang di .........

Pays for the good life  .............  

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2011-4-22 23:09:00 |Display all floors
No to death penalty in general.

We are not supposed to kill, more less so any government.

Use magic tools Report

Medal Medal of honor Gold Medal July's Best Writer 2012 October's Best Writer 2012

Post time 2011-4-23 00:33:01 |Display all floors

How do the families feel about this ......... ?

You are not affected and it will not be with you for life .........

This topic will disappear ............

And they have a life sentence  ..............   

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2011-4-23 02:49:27 |Display all floors
Reminder: Author is prohibited or removed, and content is automatically blocked

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2011-4-23 02:58:53 |Display all floors
Reminder: Author is prohibited or removed, and content is automatically blocked

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.