Views: 2231|Replies: 5

Calls grow to ban the National [Copy link] 中文

2018 Most Popular Member 2016 Most Popular Member Glod Medal 2015 Most Popular Member 2012's Best Moderator Medal of honor August's Best Contributor 2012 July's Best Contributor 2012 Gold Medal

Post time 2011-4-11 02:10:13 |Display all floors

Ballabriggs jockey Jason Maguire celebrates victory in the Grand National
Animal welfare groups have called for an outright ban on the Grand National following the deaths of two horses in Saturday's race.

The animals died during the first circuit of the gruelling four-and-a-half-mile course.

Ornais fell at the fourth and Dooneys Gate fell at the sixth, Becher's Brook. Just 19 of the 40 starters finished the race.

The latest deaths have prompted campaigners to call for an end to the historic race, with some describing it as little more than animal cruelty on the same level as bullfighting.

Animal Aid Director Andrew Tyler: "We've heard claims that the Aintree course is being made safer, safer, safer. No it's not.

"The Grand National should be banned. It's a deliberately hazardous, challenging and predictably lethal event."

He said the race's combination of a tightly packed field, high fences, long distance and huge crowd noise meant it was extremely dangerous for the horses taking part.

He added: "It's a depraved spectacle, on a par with Spanish bullfighting. It is straight forward animal abuse."

Julian Thick, managing director of Aintree Racecourse, said: "We are desperately sad at the accidents during the running of the Grand National and our thoughts go out to the connections of Ornais and Dooneys Gate.

"When a horse gets hurt, everyone is deeply upset. Safety is the first priority for the organisers of the Grand National meeting and we will redouble our efforts to make sure that everyone involved in the event - the horses, the jockeys, the spectators - is able to participate in safety and comfort."

Chao Ren VFP
Ban the National.jpg

Use magic tools Report

2018 Most Popular Member 2016 Most Popular Member Glod Medal 2015 Most Popular Member 2012's Best Moderator Medal of honor August's Best Contributor 2012 July's Best Contributor 2012 Gold Medal

Post time 2011-4-21 02:15:59 |Display all floors
Originally posted by 1584austin at 2011-4-11 02:10

Ballabriggs jockey Jason Maguire celebrates victory in the Grand National
Animal welfare groups have called for an outright ban on the Grand National following the deaths of two horse ...

And so they should

Chao Ren VFP

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2011-4-22 02:30:54 |Display all floors
Originally posted by 1584austin at 20-4-2011 18:15

And so they should

Chao Ren VFP

I agree. I don't see the difference between working a donkey to death in Africa and running a horse to death in the UK.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2011-4-22 04:52:37 |Display all floors
Originally posted by Tremblingblue at 2011-4-22 02:30

I agree. I don't see the difference between working a donkey to death in Africa and running a horse to death in the UK.

Good, they equal it with Bull fighting>

Chao Ren VFP

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2011-4-22 07:54:28 |Display all floors
I think a lot more people would care if they thought about it. But that's the problem here...people just refuse to think about it. "It's tradition".

I can think of a few other traditional things too...like chucking sh*t from my window.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2011-4-22 16:05:26 |Display all floors
Originally posted by Tremblingblue at 2011-4-22 07:54
I think a lot more people would care if they thought about it. But that's the problem here...people just refuse to think about it. "It's tradition".

I can think of a few other traditio ...

The problem with banning the National, like fox hunting> the 'offenders' are all the Upper, wealthy class so any Government have a fight on their hands as the money will be found to fight it in the courts

Chao Ren VFP

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.