Author: 468259058

Salts are nearly sold out in my city. [Copy link] 中文

Gold Medal September's Best Writer 2012

Post time 2011-3-17 18:52:45 |Display all floors
Originally posted by caringhk at 2011-3-17 18:47
so they can sell at higher prices la

It said there is no salts in Hanzhou, the capital city of Zhejiang province, even at double prices.

source: finance.eastmoney.com/news/1344,20110316124943284.html

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2011-3-17 19:11:48 |Display all floors
Chinese across the country emptied supermarkets of iodized salt even though government health officials warned that ingesting it would not protect against radiation exposure.

residents flooded supermarket looking for iodized salt after numberous posting on popular Internat chat sites that it can also protect people from radiation-ralated diseases.

In an interview Tuesday night, Zhang Wei, quality management director at the Ministry of Health's National Institute for Radiological Protection, said the level of iodine in salt is far too low to provide any protection.

"Eating iodized salt will do nothing to protect a person from nuclear radiation," he said. "Even eating two Kilos of salt won't help. More likely, it could kill a person."

Nonetheless, in downtown Beijing, Huapu Hypermarket completely sold out of salt Thurday morning. Clerks stocked five shelves with bags of rice instead. In a ten-minute period during the mid-afternoon, severn customers arrived asking for salt, including the 45-year-old mother of a toddler who said she had learned of its health benefits against radiation from QQ, one of China's most popular internet chat sites.

In Jiangsu province north of Shanghai, Zhu Bei, a 25-year-old teacher, said people lined up outside her local supermarket and cleared the shelves of salt before 10 a.m. At her mother's request, she tried several otehr markets but came up empty-handed.

She said she tried to reassure her mother that the salt would do no good anyway. "Save the lecture," her mother replied irritably. "You can't get us some salt."

China's National Salt Industry Corporation, a state-owned company and China's biggest salt producer, asked its subsidiaries to ramp up distribution of salt to places where panic buying had occurred, a spokesman said. He said the company's website had so many hits Thursday it was disabled.

By Sharon LaFRANIERE
March17,2011
ww w.nytimes.com/2011/03/18/world/asia/18china.html?src=twrhp

Use magic tools Report

Gold Medal

Post time 2011-3-17 19:31:47 |Display all floors
Originally posted by 468259058 at 2011-3-17 19:38
Rummers said even some people in Urumqi, Xinjiang Province, began to store salts.

The distance from Urumqi to the Japanese Nuclear power plants is 46,000 Kilometers.

Make it 4,600 kms   and put your heart at ease. On more than 350 days p.a. the wind blows from NW/SW/or west. This is also the wind direction right now. Next landfall is NA, either Canada or the west coast of the U.S.

No need to buy salt. In case of an emergency it wont help at all.

Use magic tools Report

Gold Medal

Post time 2011-3-17 19:32:36 |Display all floors
Originally posted by 468259058 at 2011-3-17 19:38

Make it 4,600 kms   and put your heart at ease. On more than 350 days p.a. the wind blows from NW/SW/or west. This is also the wind direction right now. Next landfall is NA, either Canada or the west coast of the U.S.

No need to buy salt. In case of an emergency it wont help at all.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2011-3-17 19:33:42 |Display all floors
Chinese shoppers cleared shelves of salt, viewed as a defense against radiation exposure, as the government sought to allay concern that fallout from a stricken Japanese nuclear facility might reach its shores.

The ministry of Environmental Protection released a chart on its Website showing radiation levels in 41 cities, from Dalian in the northeast to Ti-bet in the west are within normal ranges. People shouldn't take potasium iodided tablets used to combat radiation unless the government recommends it, the Center for Disease Control and Prevention said on its site.

Yunnan Salt&Chemical Industry Co. shares surged by the 10 percent daily limit as consumers stocked up on the mineral. China's National Salt Industry Corp. asked its branches to help crack down on hoarding. People have been buying more than 10 bags of salt and exhausting supplies, said an assistant at a Lianhua Supermarket in Shanghai's Hongkou district who declined to giver her name.

"I just wanted to buy it for cooking, but I went to six supermarkets and there's no salt any more," said Zou Hemei, a Shanghai housewife, as half a dozen customers queued in the supermarket for the mineral." I ended up buying soy sauce as a subsitute."

Residents should avoid panic buying of salt, the Shanghai Municipal Commission of Commerce said in a phone text message today. The city has sufficient edible salt stockpiled, it said.

Sticken plant

After the nuclear accident "the first thing to do is to avoid panic," the disease control center said in a posting on tis Web site dated March 16.  "Listen to the radio or TV, and act according to the government's instructions."

Table salt does not contain enough of the Type of iodine needed to block radioactive iodine from damaging a person's thyroid gland and should not be taken as a substitute for potassium iodide pills, according to healthline.com, a U.S. - based health - nformation Web site.

By Bloomberg News Mar 17, 2011

ww w.bloomberg.com/news/2011-03-17/china-shoppers-hoard-salt-as-protection-on-fear-japan-radiation-to-spread.html

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2011-3-17 19:54:47 |Display all floors
I sent a phone call to my sister in hometown just now.

There is No salt in my hometown too.

My dad asked my sister to buy salt.

At last my sister had to buy 2 bags of salt from a city 150 Kilometers away from my hometown.
My sister said she searched many supermarkets in that city, and at last found 2 bags.
But the price rose sharply to 10 yuan per bag from 1.5 yuan pre bag.

A nuclear power station, which located 50 Kilometers away from my hometown, is under construction now.

Use magic tools Report

Gold Medal

Post time 2011-3-17 20:04:27 |Display all floors
Originally posted by 468259058 at 2011-3-17 20:54

1. A nuclear power station, which located 50 Kilometers away from my hometown, is under construction now.
Copy code

They probably baught the salt to conserve fish.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.