Views: 29473|Replies: 47

how americans see chinese people? [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2011-1-21 20:29:46 |Display all floors
some of my friends in america said they are afraid of china ,because they thought the traffic in china is crasy,is it true?what americans think about china or chinese people?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2011-1-22 00:08:11 |Display all floors

You are asking for a few opinions?

There are three Americans that regularly write in this forum, me, snappysammy and JFenix, if there are others, they only occassionally write here, most do not acknowledge they Americans.

If you are looking for a true statistical answer you would have to poll a representative sample size which is not possible in this forum nor is it possible for China Daily to conduct and it is very doubtful that any American agency could properly conduct.

Most Americans, in my opinion, don't think very much about China at all, they mostly reflect what the US media and US politicians have told them -- as well as whatever bias they have brought forward from an educational system that has said and treated China mostly not at all, except for the fear of the Red Threat of Communism from dead notions of decades past (30 years ago and before). That is my rather well versed perspective on my sampling of the American people on the subject.

My real sense of what Americans think about Chinese is best told from the Chinese who have lived most of their lives in the United States, not the occasional student from China who is confined to his own self-imposed cultural isolation and school -- nor to the occasional tourist that might give impressions of some small sampling from their own bias! That is mostly what the Chinese writers in this newspaper have to their credit, a very limited interaction with Americans

Ask markwu, cestmoi and youknowwhat, they are Chinese who have lived in the United States for a long time.

I have several very close Chinese-American friends that have spent large portions of their lives in this country, one of my best friends is a sixth generation American Chinese. I know what they think, I believe. I have shared their thoughts in this forum over the past seven years.

My opinion on what the Americans think about Chinese are that they are reserved, closed, introverted and difficult to know, they are quiet, smart and goal oriented, they are well-behaved, lawful abiding citizens. They are an asset and not a threat.

On the back side there is the illegal trafficking of Chinese immigrants and the criminal wave that inhabits mostly Chinese self-confined regions of China towns, these include gangs that abuse the Chinese, not other citizens, more prominent is the abuse of females in the sex trade. These are very minor intrusions on the first set of ideals I have laid out before, which is that the Chinese are generally a great asset to our society.

I think you will find that sammy, JFenix and I really like the Chinese people and we find that they like us. Indeed we have all experienced some forms of ignorant abuse from some Chinese, especially in their attempts to defraud us in the market place, or show their didain by spitting at our feet, that aside, these minor infractions we have come to expect and accept and they compare in only a little way with the great respect and love we have found from the Chinese people.

I would say generally, the Chinese are curious, inhibited, open, easy to smile and laugh and have a sense of humor similar to our own, we also find those in the big cities often have a learned bias of crap about what they think we Americans are about and are eager to throw that up in our face (stupid Europeans are also like that). Out in the country-side this is not what we experience from the Chinese -- the Chinese in the big eastern seaboard cities are very different from the rest of China -- that becomes clear enough to most Americans that ever spent a significant amount of time in China, as i see it.
The Brotherhood of Knights of the Mystic Sea

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2011-1-22 00:14:22 |Display all floors

Otherwise

you are inviting the stupid racist hate-filled jerks to come into your thread and spread nonsense, especially the Islamic fundamentalist that have dominated this section of the forum, especially one very busy obsessed nit-with using multiple screen names, he calls himself, mechanist, totothed.og, Hairman, firstcause, gotohell, buddy35 and several other screen names. He is a paid propagandists using this forum as a depository of racial hate-filled rhetoric with which to supply the murderous fervor of the mentally deranged and lost Islamic young men in the world to react to his inflamed crap and become 'freedom fighters; for the Islamic Jihad -- to martyr  themselves in acts of terrorist murder and mayhem upon innocent civilians.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2011-1-22 00:20:44 |Display all floors

firsthand experience yourself...

Originally posted by yidouer11 at 2011-1-21 04:29
some of my friends in america said they are afraid of china ,because they thought the traffic in china is crasy,is it true?what americans think about china or chinese people?

you have to be in america in order to see & judge it yourself not just listenin to others like i cant say anythin bad 'bout china when i dont even live there myself (ev'rythin we say have a good valid reason & may or may not sound suitable to others but to be fair you have to reside there)  

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2011-1-22 00:27:10 |Display all floors

Reply #4 youknowhat's post

Perhaps as a long term resident in the US, you can express how you think Americans see you?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2011-1-22 11:03:21 |Display all floors

Americans do like to get to know Chinese & China

Many schools in America is teaching Chinese language to students. The President's daughter is a student of Chinese & she got to practise her skills with the Chinese President.  Lucky kid.  :)

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Ob ... 0.html?x=0&.v=1  
Watch your thoughts, for they become words.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2011-1-22 14:22:24 |Display all floors
America's rhetoric towards china is getting increasingly negative. listen to the conservative talk shows. read the yahoo reviews, everytime they post something to do with china. china is the upcoming superpower and american's are not ready to accept. 1st stage is denial, we are way past that. 2nd stage is anger, this is were we are, then comes reconstruction, which they will work with china. and then acceptance.
America has too many internal problems, its no where near the glory nation it was 50 years ago. the people have changed. for me to explain, this post would turn into a book.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.