Views: 1204|Replies: 4

Russia gives the boot to.Microsoft software [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2010-10-30 18:02:32 |Display all floors
By Brian Kalish 10/29/10 03:36 pm ET

Russia is saying do svidaniya, or goodbye, to Microsoft as its operating system. The government has said it is spending 150 million rubles, about US$4.5 million, to develop a "national" operating system, based on the open source Linux OS, the Christian Science Monitor reported.

The goal from the switch, ordered by Russia's Ministry of Communications, is to rid state computers of Microsoft's Windows OS with the goals of saving money, improving security and reducing dependence on foreign software giants, the Monitor reported.

The switch, first ordered three years ago, largely went unnoticed by the public and media, and is supposed to be finished by the end of this year.

Yet Viktor Tsygankov, an analyst with the Russian branch of the International Data Corp., an IT consulting firm, told the newspaper that current existing Linux systems would have been just fine and "this is just unnecessary, in my personal opinion."

http://techinsider.nextgov.com/2010/...crosoft_os.php
No Virgin Girl in America

American can not live without SEX.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-10-30 22:44:24 |Display all floors
Open source is the way to go.  Cheers Russia!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-10-30 23:57:08 |Display all floors
Originally posted by mechanic at 2010-10-30 03:02
By Brian Kalish 10/29/10 03:36 pm ET

Russia is saying do svidaniya, or goodbye, to Microsoft as its operating system. The government has said it is spending 150 million rubles, about US$4.5 mill ...

That's a good Idea. I'm using linux on my personal computers and it works well for me. China is using it on their new supercomputer.

It's nice because you are much less likely to get viruses. Over 99% of viruses are written for Microsoft operating systems. They don't damage computers that use linux.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-10-31 00:01:29 |Display all floors

It makes sense

Reminder: Author is prohibited or removed, and content is automatically blocked
"My way or Guantanamo Bay"

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-10-31 01:55:26 |Display all floors

On the same boat for boot

Reminder: Author is prohibited or removed, and content is automatically blocked

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.