Views: 14984|Replies: 66

What lies at the heart of the TBT dispute. [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2010-3-29 11:02:24 |Display all floors
The Chinese government, after the DL fled, established a series of reforms. They stripped the monasteries of their property and handed it out to the peasantry. To punish the monks for their economic crimes, they made them wear placards, much as had been done in China to landowners and other regressive elements.

However, these were religious leaders as well as economic and political ones. Thus, this treatment backfired. While people may have been genuinely appreciative of reform, they were also shocked and horrified at affront to their religious and cultural heritage. To compound the insult, the Chinese began setting up slogans and loud-speaker broadcasts of same which demeaned TBTan leaders and, thus, culture.

There is no reason to believe that when Deng agreed to allow a fact-finding mission by representatives of the DL, he did not honestly believe that the DL would be impressed with "progress" on the plateau. There was, however, a deep mismatch of values which speaks to precisely why the sec.ession movement remains strong to this day.

Since then, there has been a program of forced modernization, fueled by Chinese workers who receive (officially and unofficially) preference in pay and hiring which have dramatically altered life on the TBTan peninsula. What is surprising is that, despite constant propaganda focused on Western abuses of China, the Chinese cannot see that they have done the same and more to the people in TBT.

[ Last edited by interesting at 2010-3-29 08:49 AM ]
"Justice prevails... evil justice."

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-3-29 11:05:48 |Display all floors

who would you like to be...

in asia i rather let the chinese have it rather than somebody else from far away galaxy (you dont mean the anglos again...do you)  

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-3-29 20:26:05 |Display all floors

yeah, you're so right...

Originally posted by seneca at 2010-3-29 04:20
The Chinese have never been able to put themselves in the shoes of someone else; hence they cannot believethat Teabeddans show no gratitude to them. Teabeddans do not want Hans to run their lives,  ...

we kno they want the anglos to be there, and kick out the HANS like me ...and what else after that (i didnt 4get but you tell me)  

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-3-29 20:27:41 |Display all floors
Originally posted by seneca at 2010-3-29 20:20
The Chinese have never been able to put themselves in the shoes of someone else; hence they cannot believethat Teabeddans show no gratitude to them. Teabeddans do not want Hans to run their lives,  ...

You speak like a spokesman for the landlords and lamas.

No wonder you won't be able to put yourself in th shoes of the former serfs.

Use magic tools Report

Medal Medal of honor Gold Medal July's Best Writer 2012 October's Best Writer 2012

Post time 2010-3-29 21:06:29 |Display all floors

Is this personal opinion or do you have some cited sources?

Paragraph 1: They actually did a lot more things to these groups than mentioned.

Paragraph 2: Citable resources have shown this to not the case, in fact the opposite has been shown to be true.

Paragraph 3: The government PRC have been quoted as believing the delegation would be suitably impressed.
Due to the fact that the pre-1950 conditions were so dire. The delegation used 1980's standards to make their assessment and found it wanting. So state-able as true.

Paragraph 4: The Chinese and people in general are normally grateful for modernization, but apparently not if it is 'forced'.
Preference in pay, that goes back to the idea in the Hawaii thread, 'are those people capable, or even seen as capable'.
The West hard zero rights to force their involvement, whereas the Chinese can at least lay a claim to this neighbour as supported by all member states of the U.N.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-3-29 22:45:38 |Display all floors
Originally posted by youknowhat at 2010-3-29 20:26

we kno they want the anglos to be there, and kick out the HANS like me ...and what else after that (i didnt 4get but you tell me)  

HANS like you? Hänschen klein ging allein in den tiefen Wald hinein......

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-3-30 13:46:55 |Display all floors
Expatter,

Your statements here contradict your statements elsewhere, your agreements with other members and even the official position of the Chinese government.

Go away and darken neither my threads nor this board with your imbecility.
"Justice prevails... evil justice."

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.