Views: 2570|Replies: 11

Why Google should stay in China [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2010-3-29 00:55:57 |Display all floors
Google co-founder Sergey Brin explained why his company decided to close its search engine in ChinaGoogle co-founder Sergey Brin explained why his company decided to close its search engine in China Internet has given China a measure of transparency accountability and public voice, with an impact far more powerful than decades of 10 percent economic growth, foreign investment and urbanization Brin is right that China's political system retains many of the Leninist attributes of the old Soviet Union, but he is wrong to conflate the government's attempts to enforce those attributes with the actual results.

Brin cites the Chinese government's increasing requests that Google censor information as evidence of greater censorship. That's one way to interpret the data. Another equally plausible explanation is that the supply of content deemed worthy of censoring has multiplied, forcing the government to play catch up, often from a hopeless distance.

Anyone who has spent time online in China can testify that the Internet community there is easily one of the most dynamic and vibrant on Earth. On any issue, there are passionate debates and opinions across the ideological spectrum. Maoists, Hayekians and Confucians trade barbs with insults and zealotry. Blogs by serious intellectuals attract audiences unimaginable in the West. China's market for ideas is enormous. Last month, the Chinese premier, Wen Jiabao, went online and personally answered netizens' questions, even some that, by Chinese standards, were rather blunt. (One answer Wen gave on the real estate market prompted a blogger in China to post all the past statements Wen had made on controlling real estate prices -- alongside an index of rising prices.)
Wechat:peterpooo, SINA:潘彬峰,Twitter:Banfenv,

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-3-29 20:25:48 |Display all floors
actually,i always use Google to searching for Baidu.....that is what Google means to me..

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-3-29 20:28:19 |Display all floors

not exactly moola moola...

all they want is sensitive info & lots of it like the entire PRC  

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-3-29 20:29:49 |Display all floors
Yep, obviously some real Chinese talking here.

Refreshing to read, instead of the usual propaganda nonsense.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-3-30 01:02:57 |Display all floors
Reminder: Author is prohibited or removed, and content is automatically blocked

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-3-30 03:01:39 |Display all floors
Originally posted by showtimeabc at 2010-3-29 20:25
actually,i always use Google to searching for Baidu.....that is what Google means to me..

I have to review my IQ grading of Anglos now.
They are far more stupid than I had previously thought.
Not an easy task to further downgrade I must confess.

Is there such a thing as Negative IQ?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-4-1 22:33:36 |Display all floors
yes that's right ,I agree with my that views
Wechat:peterpooo, SINA:潘彬峰,Twitter:Banfenv,

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.