Views: 7263|Replies: 52

I'll Tell You Why Chinese Cities Are (Becoming) So Ugly [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2010-3-26 19:50:33 |Display all floors
China is really going through a very very strange stage in it's development. There's a few reasons at play here.

1. Concentration of power, the ability for those in power to build skyscrapers anywhere they want, unregulated development. And the everyday people have no power to complain or have any say whatsoever in what happens, including being forced to leave their homes to be demolished for development.

2. The ignorance of those in power. They travel the world and get a taste of how "developed western nations" live, and then they come home and try to emulate it somehow, but it just looks so weird and out of place in China, and stupid. Developing China and Chinese culutre is about doing things in a Chinese way. Foreigners come to China expecting to see wonderful developing China, instead all they see is weird weird weird and more weird stuff wherever they go, ugly skyscrapers in stupid locations, European villas painted in horrible colours, it's all just soooooooo weird! Poor China, it's just a weird stage in their development. Some kind of insecure thing I think. Kind of like "Hey, look at us world, we've got skyscrapers and castles and European villas and we're all eating bread and drinking coffee now, we must be developed! Look at us everyone! Look at how developed we are! DEVELOP CHINESE CULTURE YOU MORONS! NO ONE CARES ABOUT SOME WEIRD VERSION OF WESTERN CULTURE! BE CONFIDENT AND HAPPY! YOU HAVE AN AMAZING CULTURE, WHY DO YOU NEED TO BE SO WEIRD AND INSECURE IN YOUR DEVELOPMENT???????

3. Again, those in power, the insecure desire to develop at all costs and then sit back and look later! That's why it's all out of control, those in power just pushing everything like crazy, no one to say "Hey! Hang on! Should we think about this first? Should we ask the locals what they think?" Develop develop develop money money money power power power! That's about it! China is on a fast-track to everything just spiralling out of control in my humble opinion.

So that's pretty much it. Unregulated development due to too much concentration of power and complete ignorance about how the rest of the developed world actually does things.

I love China, I'd love to see it all come together 'normally' one day. To see these magnificent, fully developed Chinese cities full of developed civilised Chinese people embracing their Chinese culture with pride, who have basic table maneers, basic toilet training, and don't spit and throw rubbish everywhere and squat all day and smoke like trains. But at this stage, China still has quite a long way to go.

Yes, the development of skyscrapers is happening at full speed, but the development of Chinese culture is still creeping ahead in small baby-steps.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-3-26 20:11:31 |Display all floors

Yes, it really sucks to see all those rich chinese building greek-temple style garden or french castle in East China. Call it bashing if you want, but objectively, I visited 13 countries around the world, most not in west, and china is really the number one for bad taste architecture, not only these rich have power and force other to leave their place, by force or by making estate price too high, but also they have generally awful bad taste. It's just disgusting to see these so called "modern" building imitating the New york style from the 20's....

One more time, an example of the non-equal society, with concentration of power in some peoples hands and no power for the most numerous peoples, lead to such disasters.. In some cities, I estimate that more than 90 percent of the construction from the 50's are really disgusting, and just need to be destroyed and rebuilt on new basis. But this is impossible. And these cities will be ugly long time....

The collusion between rich and government without balance is a true drama : look a city like Taipei: there are at least 8 shopping mall, 3 times more than Paris wich is at least 10 time bigger...Shopping mall everywhere, but the student in some university have not enough bus or metro to access....giant golf wich waste 1/4 of a suburb wich hundred thousand peoples....several scandalous examples like these...

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-3-26 20:33:25 |Display all floors
Originally posted by middleway at 2010-3-26 21:50
2. The ignorance of those in power. They travel the world and get a taste of how "developed western nations" live, and then they come home and try to emulate it somehow,...

It's the "Cargo Cult" mentality.
We saw that in developing countries over a century ago.
"他不是救星, 他是一个非常淘气男孩" - Monty Python

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-3-26 20:34:14 |Display all floors
Chinese cities are so ugly?
you must kidding me.
my excolleague from NY used to say China is a most wonderful place in the world to go and SH can compare with NY city.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-3-26 20:35:04 |Display all floors
Originally posted by yasawakic at 2010-3-26 20:11

Yes, it really sucks to see all those rich chinese building greek-temple style garden or french castle in East China. Call it bashing if you want, but objectively, ...

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-3-26 21:27:15 |Display all floors
It's the "Cargo Cult" mentality. We saw that in developing countries over a century ago.

Yes, that is so true, i'd never thought of it that way before, but it really is, but just on a much bigger scale than a small tribal island somewhere. It's like the worlds biggest cargo cult culture taking over with all this development. I guess they have been isolated from the world for so long the same as a small tribal village on an island in the pacific or something, it's no different really. Quite amazing.

I mean, you look back 100 years ago in China, before western influence, they had no need for idolising and trying to copy other cultures, because they had their own culture, but I guess it was all taken away during all the great leap forwards and the cultural revolutions and everything else.

The "Cargo China" mentality, that can be a new term I've just developed :)

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-3-26 23:11:53 |Display all floors
Originally posted by foreveryou at 2010-3-26 04:34
Chinese cities are so ugly?
you must kidding me.
my excolleague from NY used to say China is a most wonderful place in the world to go and SH can compare with NY city.

i'll second that... shanghai, beijing, chongqing, nanjing and guangzhou just to name a few chinese metros i've visited puts frico and nyc to damn shame and i'm sure same would apply to that of old london, paris, you name it, anywhere in the world...  

compared with the architectures of other cities from around the world, modern 21st century chinese architectures are unforgettable marvels of the world of architecture and engineering.

beijing capital and china's highspeed railways alone is an envy of the world where only barrack obama alone would have the honesty to acknowledge is something america needs to take que...

[size=-2]
my postulation:  this guy who started this thread with the heading [why are chinese cities so ugly] has to have been fired up by envy and my speculation is a) he is some AMERICAN who can't swallow his/her pride as to how what was once deemed as a backward china somehow manage to leave them far far behind or b) some SOUTH ASIAN who just can't stand the lose of face because while both were once dirt poor, they can't stand how china have managed to crawl out of hell hole it's in and rockets itself into 7th heaven while they (SOUTH ASIAN) still remain in the crappers they've been in...

Shame on him, or her, for being the "little" man or women he or she is...

[ Last edited by edisonone at 2010-3-26 07:15 AM ]
Putin's a killer. This was the claim made by Fox News journalist; Bill O'Reilly during his recent interview with Donald Trump. Trump's reply came in the form of a simple question. What, you think our country's so innocent?

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.