Views: 9754|Replies: 10

There is a secret to learning English words. [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2009-7-29 05:11:20 |Display all floors
Well before the Caxton printing press was invented (15th Century), most books were religious texts - painstakingly hand-written in an elaborate style by monks, or other religious elders.  Some of these books invariably took years to complete.  Imagine the astonishment of ordinary people when suddenly books could be churned out by the thousands due to the advent of this new invention – the printing press.
If was difficult to comprehend at first how anyone could read the number of different books that were being printed, until people realised that you don’t have to read every book in the world.

I am a native English and I haven’t read every single book published in English.  You don’t have to learn every single English word to be conversant in English.  You simply learn what is applicable to your own field of studies.  Someone who is studying law will easily become familiar with English terms related to law – but does not need to know the English terms for medical brain surgery (I am a native English, and I don’t know the English terms used in brain surgery – I am not a brain surgeon!).

Don’t be discouraged from learning English because you see a monumental task before you of having to learn every single word that’s ever been written in English.  Don’t  waste brain power and precious time trying  to remember  how many ox you would need to work your land – you are not a farmer  – you are studying law remember?

History has taught us that we learn much more quickly of the words we need to use on a regular basis – our brain is programmed by familiarity and repetition.

In essence, stick to English words that you will need to use on a regular basis.  Incidental words will creep in gradually as you become more familiar with them.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2009-9-2 11:44:08 |Display all floors
Agreed.

It is one of our best practices to keep a copy of medical glossary (most of them are "incidental" words) so that when we need to go for emergency medical care it will help us describe the symptoms.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2009-9-2 20:08:39 |Display all floors
Originally posted by BonaVista at 2009-9-2 11:44
Agreed.

It is one of our best practices to keep a copy of medical glossary (most of them are "incidental" words) so that when we need to go for emergency medical care it will help us d ...

a good comparison.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2009-9-3 09:24:37 |Display all floors

can't agree more

there are plenty of Chinese characters we Chinese don't even know .  
so when it comes to study a foreign language , there is good reason we don not need to learn every word ,  which the native speakers do not necessarily know .

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2009-9-3 18:34:52 |Display all floors
Hi dear friends,
I agree with your comment.
I don't know Chinese.
How can start learn a Chinese ?
Please help me.
[url=http://www.walktall.co.uk/]Large shoes[/url]

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-2-6 16:48:03 |Display all floors
Thank you for sharing your ideas. It's very useful to the persons who learn English. Expect your more valuable ideas.

Use magic tools Report

Glod Medal

Post time 2012-3-7 00:18:13 |Display all floors
xiaodi0325 Post time: 2012-2-6 16:48
Thank you for sharing your ideas. It's very useful to the persons who learn English. Expect your mor ...

You can't be serious
Never Let Anyone Outside The Family Know What You're Thinking.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.