Views: 3693|Replies: 4

what do you think about "educating the masses" and patriotism? [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2004-3-11 00:28:25 |Display all floors
forumite wchao37 wrote about recent controversy in hkong:

"If China had not acted swiftly like she did last month to educate the masses to ensure that everyone is pre-warned of Beijing’s emphasis that only patriots can run for the highest office in the colony, Lee and his cohorts would have held more demonstrations to force the hand of the Tung government."

i replied to him that he could accurately substitute the word "educate" with "threaten," and asked him to specify the true meaning of "patriot."  

while wchao has decided not to answer these two questions, i do think they make for great discussion material here on the cd forum.  

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2004-3-11 08:56:04 |Display all floors

My thoughts

Such regressive "educational" policies can only resort in disaster and in a country participating in international crime. The Bush administration in America is precisely an example that backs this statement.

Bush screams "patriotism" to encourage Americans to blindly participate in nationalism and nationalistic militarism. Patriotism has nothing to do with the love of your country, but more to do with blindly following any leader's policies, regardless of how bad they are.

I dearly love America and its beauty and freedoms, but I am not some mindless, non-thinking patriot! Bush is an international criminal, and I hate him and his immoral, criminal policies. Bush is a traitor to the American people!!!

Use magic tools Report

freeman has been deleted
Post time 2004-3-11 13:24:58 |Display all floors

Deng was right...

Reminder: Author is prohibited or removed, and content is automatically blocked

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2004-3-11 15:09:43 |Display all floors

Reply: ...the problem is...

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2004-3-11 16:23:41 |Display all floors

Reply: what do you think about "educating the masses" and patriotism?

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.