Views: 49686|Replies: 88

How do you say 'ganbei' in English? [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2008-9-12 09:37:51 |Display all floors
How to offer a toast in English at a banquet was a test question on this year's examination for young prefecture and county level officials in Guangdong province.

The examination took place in South China University of Agriculture in Guangzhou last weekend.

The question is said to have floored many of the test takers, who complained that it was beyond their expectations.

But officials who drew up the test questions argued that this is practical and useful to know as many young officials have to participate in social events involving foreigners.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-9-12 09:41:06 |Display all floors

Reply #1 zhoupu's post

"Ganbei" basically means cheers without giving a speech before drinking what's in your glass, so the answer is...."cheers".

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-9-12 09:49:54 |Display all floors
I completely agree with authorities that this is a proper question to ask. I am curious about the answer. Most Chinese people tend to say 'cheers' which is wrong. Cheers means take a drink. The true meaning of 'ganbei' is "bottoms up". Bottoms up means the bottom of your glass should be above your mouth while you empty your glass. In my years of teaching in China, I have never met a student who knew the correct answer. I think this was an excellent question in the exam as it is truly very important to create a good first impression with foreigners.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-9-12 09:56:29 |Display all floors

Reply #3 gorbachev's post

Then, I was taught incorrectly by my Chinese friends who said it merely means cheers. Interesting!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-9-12 10:10:50 |Display all floors
Originally posted by exportedkiwi at 2008-9-12 09:56
Then, I was taught incorrectly by my Chinese friends who said it merely means cheers. Interesting!

what your chinese friends told you is right, most of time it means "cheers" when people say ganbei, although the translation of "gan bei" is bottom up.

[ Last edited by ztoali at 2008-9-12 10:11 AM ]

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-9-12 10:51:59 |Display all floors
i do not know

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-9-12 13:34:48 |Display all floors
"what your chinese friends told you is right, most of time it means "cheers" when people say ganbei, although the translation of "gan bei" is bottom up."

Yeah, it's often used casually without meaning you have to finish the glass. I think 'cheers' does fine.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.