Author: interethnic

Concentrate on making 2008 harvest a success [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2008-5-2 15:09:52 |Display all floors

Reply #63 greendragon's post

for the arid north, might as well produce cattle.

and eat more MEAT, and MILK.

Import cocoa from Malaysia and produce CHOCOLATE bars to consume as well.

ha ha ha

Green Dragon

note: This is paid advertistment for the malaysian cocoa board.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-5-2 15:30:02 |Display all floors
Originally posted by greendragon at 2008-5-2 15:06
I would suggest UPLAND rice crop and DRIP agriculture.

AND use the hot desert if it's possible to obtain fresh water from sea water.

ha ha ha

might not be economical but a wild idea none ...

Right!! Upland rice crop and drip agriculture, but there're other crops too that are suitable for lands that are relatively dry and unfertile like e.g. potato and cassavo.

Desalinating salty sea water may not be a good option now because it can be rather costly to do so, unless we can come up with some brilliant ideas with some simple methods of desalination, perhaps by way of evaporation of sea water by hot desert sun just like the process we see at  salt pans!
I would suggest tapping vast water resources from the glaziers in northern Tbet, Kunlun mountains, Tian shan mountains, Chinling mountains all have vast melting glaziers sources that could be channelled to Tarim basin and Inner Mongolia for reforestation projects and farming activities!
I think when China could successfully turning all these arid lands into productive farms and verdert forests then imdeed China will become a super power in agriculture productions!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-5-5 10:50:09 |Display all floors

Reply #65 correction's post

I was thinking more on "how to solve the sand storm" around Beijing.

Might as well make some money out of public work.

The idea is rather simple.
Pump filtered sea water some 400-500km inland. (I was told it cost China Rmb2 milliion a km to pump "very viscose" crude oil, around 25M T of crude possible). So a shorter pumping distance, with "less viscose" sea water, would possible triple or quadruple the volume? ie. 100M T. So, the piping cost would be around 500 x Rmb2 mil = Rmb 1 billion.

(We probably need tanks to store sea water to allow for smooth flow of fluids into the proposed green houses)

With the creation of DRIP IRRIGATION  METAL/POLYETHYLEEN FILM housing green houses, it's possible to "SALT PAN", and catch evaporation of the water on the polyethylene film into collection troughs. ( i got the idea from my air conditioning system, ha ha ha, and the heat driving my car. Overall it make me smarter consumer, i only drive my large car on weekends, and my small Perodua car on weekday, saving me at least Rmb1000 a month.).

(we can also have smaller distilled water holding tanks to be used in cooler periods)

The very salty effluent could then be send to regular salt pan drying methods. It's much efficient in the dry desert region. (though around Beijing, it would be only during the summer time). China needs around 3 mT of salt or approximately Rmb 9 billion worth.

Then with around 50-60m T (i am just guessing here), we could produce quite a lot of arid flourishing plants, such as ALOE VERA,  fruits etc.).

I don't know how much, but it seem viable and increase farm acrerage.

(IN between the green houses) you can use Malaya's palm oil fiber geo textile to prevent sand movement, maybe add homes, roads, and an occasional tree.

Green Dragon
God of Prosperity

note: The palm oil bit was a paid advertistment from the Palm Oil producers association of Malaysia)

[ Last edited by greendragon at 2008-5-5 11:35 AM ]

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-5-5 10:57:22 |Display all floors

The system needs a lot of high tech fluid control machines.

In addition, with Green Houses, you don't need to use "pesticides" (ha ha ha in deserts, that shouldn't be a problem). From Methane, and processed Beijing s-h-i-t from the proposed sewage projects, you could fertilized the needed Potassium, and Nitrates needed when added to the distilled water in the drip method.

Or, if there is excess methane, you'll could just use it to drive turbines.

ha ha ha

Not sure, it would work, need the engineers to calculate the viability.
and it will create a lot of high tech. work, metals, polyethylene film, pumps, pump servicing, parts replacements. even chemical industry from the sewage system.

Pumping snow from the Himalaya takes a longer distance, and cost more, i guess.
In addition, BEIJING IS THREATEN BY SAND STORMs every year!
REAL ESTATE is very valuable in BEIJING. so there is need to spend money to protect that huge goldmine called BEIJING.

cheerios!

Green Dragon
God of Prosperity

[ Last edited by greendragon at 2008-5-5 10:58 AM ]

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-5-5 11:12:25 |Display all floors

Besides certain plants in arid regions are very valuable.

Maybe Aloe Vera, scented woods, etc.

and you could have 10-20 hectares per family.
supplied with water, electricity by SOLAR PANELs,  and other amenities.

cheerios!

Red Dragon
God of Happiness

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-5-5 11:20:08 |Display all floors
there is no speculation very  here in china!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-5-5 11:23:57 |Display all floors

We could have nice long line of green houses....

....in between the green houses are homes, roads, and sand trapped by Malaysian Palm oil fiber geo textile materials.

ha ha ha

Red Dragon
God of Happiness

Note: This is paid advertistment of Malayan palm oil producers.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.