Views: 5688|Replies: 8

Topics for C DClub(BJ) , March 9, 2008 by Kathleen [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2008-3-5 13:52:23 |Display all floors
Topics for Colorful Domain English Club(BJ) , March 9, 2008

Time: 10.30am-12.30pm
Venue: Byone Western Restaurant 百万庄园西餐店(朝外联合大厦店)
(highly appreciated if you could arrive by 10:20 a.m.)

How to get there:Take Loop Line of the Subway, Get off at Chaoyangmen Station, and Take Exit A. Walk around the Office Building of Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MOFA) clockwise. The restaurant is just opposite to MOFA's southeastern entrance.

Host: Kathleen
Prepared Speaker: Audrey
Minutes Writer: Alhaji

Topic I —— Brain Drain

Nowadays more and more Chinese students study in broad. When they graduate, some of them have decided not to return to their home countries and find a job in USA, Great Britain, Australia and other richer countries. This phenomenon known as “Brain Drain” has caused a shortage in skilled laborers in poorer countries.
If you were in their shoes, what would be your choice? Why?
If you were the prime minister of China, what would you do?  

Topic II ——  The Scent of Memory

Many things can trigger memories--a snippet of song, a movie, or a photograph. But smell is the most powerful memory trigger of all. Almost everything could be defined by scent, such as summer is fresh cut grass and the Valentine's Day is bouquet of roses. Church is incense and candle wax, and school is chalk and cabbage.
Please scan the catalog of smells in your head which describe a variety of people, places, things and times. Most of these connections are obvious and immediately recognized, but there are others not quite so easily reached and examined.
What’s the deepest memory caused by Scent?
Who did give you deep impression by her or his own scent? Why? (if you’d like sharing to us ^_* )

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-3-6 14:48:35 |Display all floors

Kathleen, topic 2 reminds the movie : Scent of a Woman

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-3-6 17:19:34 |Display all floors

闻香识女人

有些外国电影名字翻译得太妙了,信、达、雅,让回味无穷,叫绝!比如,《闻香识女人》、《人鬼情未了》等等。

关于Scent of Woman, those inspirational speeches made by Pacino, the blind colonel, are highly recommended to our CD English public speaking fans.

And personally i like the tango scene. it was such a magical moment - pleasant, unstrained and highly enjoyable

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-3-7 05:15:01 |Display all floors

here's my 2sense...

Originally posted by zhaoxb at 3/5/08 12:52 AM
Topics for Colorful Domain English Club(BJ) , March 9, 2008

Time: 10.30am-12.30pm
Venue: Byone Western Restaurant 百万庄园西餐店(朝外联合大厦店)
(highly appreciated if you could arrive by 10 ...

topic 1 involves politics, pride & dignity...NOT so easy to bring it up; it might offense some people  

topic 2 the content is too dry & boring

my suggestion is to talkabout something that's FUN & comfortable with   ;P

anyway, if you have milk & cookies there i'd join you...good luck!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-3-7 10:53:38 |Display all floors

comments and remarks are welcome and encouraged

To Kathlen, Joyce and Pjtran,

What a great joy it is to have feedbacks from friends, be it positive or negative! It shows they DO care about us!:)

As to topics selection, the club always adheres to the rules-- no sensitive or potentially offensive topics such as sex, religion and politics. When elements of such areas are inevitably touched upon, it is vital to keep our stance politically right. On such precondition, I don’t think there is anything wrong to talk about the Brain Drain issue. And if it were me, I might select the women issue. After all, March 8 is Women’s Day. We should say something nice to them for their contributions to the family and the society at large and address some of the problems they might face nowadays. Holiday greetings to beautiful and diligent Chinese “half the sky”!

Topic 2 (Scent) the content is too dry & boring? Well, if it is too dry, refill the bottle with more perfume. Boring? Try Cool Water! It gives me energy.

Milk & cookies? Plenty! And the restaurant serves rich variety of beverages too. But you’ll have to pay. That’s another policy of our club: buy one drink!

Btw, you are welcome to present us with big apples, New York boy.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-3-7 11:37:08 |Display all floors

a rain check this time...

Originally posted by alhaji at 3/6/08 09:53 PM
To Kathlen, Joyce and Pjtran,

What a great joy it is to have feedbacks from friends, be it positive or negative! It shows they DO care about us!:)

As to topics selection, the club always adh ...

alhaji--thanks for your invitation & maybe next time when i'm in peking...coz i only travel to shenzhen & changsha, hunan this september otherwise i might stop by and say hello  

btw...for real, i love milk & cookies at anytime  ;P;P;P

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-3-8 18:39:55 |Display all floors

Prepared Speaker Changed

Audrey is excused from the role of Prepared Speaker due to heavy work load on the weekends. Joyce will sit in instead.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.