Author: thepeop

Exit Spielberg, stage left [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2008-3-2 17:21:27 |Display all floors
zhiran,

I do not agree with you on this ground . If Spielberg had reservations about China's criminality in fostering or encouraging the blood shed in Darfur , he should not have accepted the offer as a director in the first place . We are talking about an event which has been there for years and years . Now , out of the blue , he is struck by a bolt of conscience !??  What has happened between his taking on the job ( maybe 1-2 years ago , or less ? ) and now ?  This is an irresponsible act of sabotage . Luckily his  absence is easily filled .

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-3-2 20:44:13 |Display all floors

None taken but...

Originally posted by piethh at 2008-3-2 16:15

No offence meant to you, but you're also behaving like a kid in this playground.
Perhaps, the only difference between them (those people whom you accuse of childish ways) and you is that they are spitting out in an unpolished reactive manner, whilst you are pompous and slef-delusive (in that you think you are objective)....

Ah...more useless criticism to add to the debate.  You post is full of....nothing.

"No offence meant to you....you are pompous. "

I'd rather be accused of being pompous with an opinion, than one who simply pokes his head over the wall, shouts out an insult and ducks back down again.  Scared to really speak your mind or simply no opinion?  There are many other here like you on the many different sides (sic) of the fence.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-3-3 04:52:02 |Display all floors
Might I recommend my friend ... George Lucas?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-3-4 02:20:00 |Display all floors
zhiran wrote:
>I see other posts here regurgitating history regarding the US/Reagan's role in Central America in the 1980's.  If you really want to go back to the playground, running up to the teacher and crying "He started it first!"<

This is what we call selective reading, possibly with a deliberate intention to ignore the crux of the matter, which is media biasness against China. There're several reasons for bringing up the US role in Central America. The first is the proximity of what happened in the Central American outrage, just months before the LA Olympics. The US in this case did not have to, as a poster implied in the case of China, anticipate international criticism because, as usual, the Western-controlled mass media would've never dreamed of tying US aggression in Central America with the LA Olympics.  The second, perhaps an even more powerful indictment of the mass media such as Reuters, AP, AFP, CNN and so on, is that Western - particularly American - aggression against other countries are continuing even as we speak. Indeed, poll after poll show that the warring sides in Iraq want the Yankees out of their country, yet America still insists on continuing its occupation. Presidential contender McCain even talked of staying there for "a hundred years."  Over a million Iraqis have died, and a fifth of Iraqis are now refugees. American use of depleted uranium is giving cancer to thousands more ordinary Iraqis. It's likely that the effects would eventually be more deadly than Agent Orange in Vietnam (by the way, just last week or so, the US STILL refuses to compensate the Vietnamese victims of Agent Orange). Surely Spielberg should be even more concerned with the ongoing killings of Iraqis by his country? Surely he should protest even louder the ongoing threats against another country, Iran??? That, I believe, is the hypocrisy many posters here are unable to stomach.

>There has been much written here on China's morally higher position. i.e. it doesn't invade other countries and takes a neutral view in international situations. ...The govt has to be responsible for its actions.....<

The question here isn't about China's morally higher position, and a comparison between Western genocide on three continents with China's relationship with the Sudan is disingenuous, if not an exercise in humbuggery. The question, as stated above, is the hypocrisy of the Western media and the hypocrisy of Spielberg. Certainly China can help other countries, including the Sudan, more. But it doesn't need the vitriolic condemnation of the West  at a time when they're bloodletting in the Middle East and Afghanistan.

>the Olympics are certainly NOT the time or place to make this situation public. <

This I certainly agree, but the statement also deconstructs your entire posting - it's precisely this attempt, foregrounded by media biasness, to link the Olympics with events in the Sudan that has upset a number of posters here.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-3-4 19:37:29 |Display all floors
It is ok for an actor to exit from a scene he doesn't agree with.

So now we can wait for which Hollywood actors will leave the US for one or more of the following reasons:
- The US hold prisoners without allowing them access to lawyers, the Red Cross or even to a fair trial (Guantánamo)
- The US is not pressing Saudia Arabia, their closest ally in the Middle East, to more human rights (women can't even drive cars there)
- US imprisoning children

If all actors will be as consequent in their actions as Mr Spielberg, that would leave Hollywood really empty...

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-3-4 19:52:23 |Display all floors
Originally posted by mengyingbo at 2008-3-4 19:37
If all actors will be as consequent in their actions as Mr Spielberg, that would leave Hollywood really empty... ...

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-3-5 07:04:22 |Display all floors
#203 meiguodiyi,

Am I hallucinating ? Or have you been smoking the good weed again ?  How many personalities does your psyche contain ?  I am holding my fire .

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.