Author: thepeop

Exit Spielberg, stage left [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2008-2-24 20:35:17 |Display all floors
Originally posted by georgeh at 2008-2-24 15:05
It appeared that the US didn't need to take pro-active actions to hold the LA Olympics just a few months after  the Nicaraguan outrage. And the Western media didn't even discussed the possibility of an Olympic boycott. Exactly as some people said here - double standards. ...

Valid comment.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-2-24 23:12:38 |Display all floors
"Exactly as some people said here - double standards."

The message, perhaps, is that China needs to be ready to take criticism until it's powerful and influential enough to not get criticised.  The 1984 Olympics was used politically, though- the USSR and its satellite states boycotted after the USA boycotted the 1980 Moscow games.  That might explain a lack of western media comment- if you talked about boycotting over Nicaragua you could be seen as joining the enemy.

"Nothing but nothing in the world is allowed to stand in the way of Americans making money."

This is much better... please stick to the anti-American bigotry, the anti-Jewish bigotry leaves a much nastier taste in the mouth.  Objectively, I suppose they're equally objectionable*, but I guess it's not as close to the bone because no-one has actually tried to round up and exterminate all the Americans in the last century.

*Suggested mental exercise: go back over your posts, substituting 'Chinese' every time you use 'Americans' or 'Jews', and see whether you find it slightly insulting.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-2-25 09:30:43 |Display all floors
Quote:
>The message, perhaps, is that China needs to be ready to take criticism until it's powerful and influential enough to not get criticised. <

That, of course, shouldn't be the case for any country, though in the real world it is, especially when the West has a near-monopoly of the world's mass media.

>The 1984 Olympics was used politically, though- the USSR and its satellite states boycotted after the USA boycotted the 1980 Moscow games.

Here Andrew is correct - the Olympics has always been used politically. The Moscow games  was used as such by the USA and later Moscow retaliated. One would've thought that the US would've been grateful for Chinese participation in the LA Games, as the latter's boycott would've made that games a largely Western affair, but memories are short in politics.

<That might explain a lack of western media comment- if you talked about boycotting over Nicaragua you could be seen as joining the enemy.]]

No, it doesn't. The US has invaded over twenty Latin/South American countries since WW2, often devastating those countries and made them much poorer, even today, than the embargoed Cubans. The Western media has always been a tool of the West, and no more so than today.

I think all this while tongluren has used terms such as "the Americans" etc., more exclusively than supposed. He does mean - I gather -  the people who wield power, not EVERY American. Further, the idea that Americans prize money over everything else is commonly held by most of the world, so it's a stereotype, and like all stereotypes possesses a kernal of truth (too long to discuss here - the Weberian Protestant ethic and the slanting of Calvinism to dovetail with capitalism is at least partly responsible for the materialism we see today in the U.S.).

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-3-1 12:27:35 |Display all floors

Beijing Olympics » Exit Spielberg, stage left

I have friends from Sudan. They have left the country due to the horrific government of that country. Sudan has one of the worst governments in the world. The government has been and is killing its own people. No civilized country would sell  such a country arms. The Un has been its usual usless self in dpoing anything about it. America too has failed these people, as has the world. This tragedy is far more important than any "games". The Chinese people should concern themselves with making the world a better place. Sudan ,North Korea and Cuba are good places to start.

Steve Pip

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-3-1 14:14:33 |Display all floors

You See How Western Propaganda Works?

It always starts with a variation of something like "I have a friend from Sudan . . . ."

Kinda reminds me of the American produced lie of the supposed Iraqi "nurse" and Saddam's soldiers supposedly destroying incubators with babies in them.  Sadly moving.

Except they were every bit Hollywood - every single inch a lie.  

For each of your "I have a friend . .  . .", we see MILLIONS of Sudanese busying themselves everyday, basking in the prosperity generated from almost a decade of hard work, watching the nation improve.  Before China came, Sudan had to import US$100 Million in oil products each year, and had nothing to pay for it with except agricultural exports.  After a short few years of Chinese help, Sudan is now a major oil exporter, and not only that, it no longer needs to import fuel as it has its own refinery, and its petro- based industries are No. 3 or 4 in the entire African continent!!

Anyone that's been to Khartoum will see a bustling, growing city where people have smiles on their faces.

Yet these Western so called do-gooders (each one with heart blacker than coal) would have China cut off the spigot and deprive the entire Sudanese nation of hope and prosperity.  What have the Sudanese people do to you??  

Where there are terrorists (defined as America defines it - any group that resorts to violence outside of the political process, in an attempt to influence the political outcome), it is the government's duty and obligation to wipe the terrorists out.  America does it everyday, so don't preach that the Sudanese can't do it.  You really wanna see peace in Sadan, stop funding and stop providing weapons to the terrorists fighting the rightful government of Sudan.

Whether the Sudanese govt. is good or bad, that is purely between the Sudanese people and its government, and foreign interference is forbidden.  That is the way for the other Gulf states like Saudi Arabia and Dubai, etc., and that's that way it is with Sudan.   Funny (or sad, really) these "rebels" have never had so much weapons and funds spurring them on, until China found exportable oil and built the infrastructure (1,500 km of oil pipeline, and major terminals on both ends) to export the valuable oil.  Just follow the money - today more than one of these "rebel leaders" are put up in luxurious accommodation in Europe while they ran the terrorists in Sudan, and actually refused to go back to Sudan to attend the ongoing peace talks.  

So Westerners should convince your governments to cut off support for the terrorists haunting the Sudanese nation.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-3-1 18:28:07 |Display all floors
tong,

You are spot on . The sources from the West fall into such categories  "  an official who would remain nameless " or  " one reliable source "  or  " a diplomat who has requested anonymity "  or  " one of my friends " .Translated they mean "  I have made it up while I was sitting on the toilet throne  waiting for nature to call " ! Blah , such humbug and hypocrisy .

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-3-2 06:15:38 |Display all floors
Originally posted by tongluren at 2008-3-1 14:14
So Westerners should convince your governments to cut off support for the terrorists haunting the Sudanese nation.

True indeed!
You will reap what you sow!

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.