Views: 68957|Replies: 217

Exit Spielberg, stage left [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2008-2-13 11:33:55 |Display all floors
Apparently Steven Spielberg's resigned from his 'artistic adviser' position for the 2008 games, in protest at China's position on the African country Darfur.

Now, I'm sure we don't actually neeiad to have the political 'discussion' on this to know what people will say, so instead what about these questions: does China have any others foreign advisers?  If not, does this mean that the opening ceremony could become a new year-style karaoke/crosstalk (xiangsheng) variety performance?  Because I would love that, but I'm not sure about visiting heads of state etc...

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-2-13 11:44:01 |Display all floors

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-2-13 11:46:00 |Display all floors
And I meant 'region', not 'country', above, but it's telling me I can't edit...

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-2-13 12:06:37 |Display all floors
Originally posted by thepeop at 2008-2-12 22:33
Apparently Steven Spielberg's resigned from his 'artistic adviser' position for the 2008 games, in protest at China's position on the African country Darfur.

Now, I'm sure we don't actually neei ...

- if it's true, then I believe S.S. must be under the tremendous pressures by some well-known Hollywood figures like Richard Gere, and Mia Farrow etc., they both have big mouths and loud voices for S.S. still supporting China so far as Olimpic's arts adviser; R. Gere also is a Tibet separatist.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-2-13 16:29:55 |Display all floors
The Olympics organisers do not need Spielberg. Inviting him was only, in my opinion, a kind gesture to include diversity by involving as many ideas from the world communities as possible in the event. Without him, the ceremonial event can still do well to impress the world.

If he's not happy then leave! If Asian countries were to emulate those Hollywood celebrities, America will receive boycotts for its human rights abuse at the Guantanamo Bay, Iraq and Afghanistan. It should also beget similar treatment for its scale of pollution!
Malaysian-born Chinese

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-2-14 09:25:51 |Display all floors
Steve S. left, does he need to pay for the mountain high fees due to breaking the contract?  I believe China's organizers need to be strong and firm this time - demand him legally pay.  Again, I feel China part in international affairs is just way too soft.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-2-14 10:34:06 |Display all floors
Beijing defiant as Spielberg walks out

Mary-Anne Toy Herald Correspondent in Beijing and agencies
February 14, 2008

BEIJING was defiant yesterday in the face of its most embarrassing Olympic crisis so far, sparked by the US director Steven Spielberg's announcement that he is quitting as an artistic adviser to the 2008 Olympic Games because of China's continued support for its oil-rich trading partner Sudan.

In a letter to the Chinese ambassador in Washington and the Beijing Olympic Organising Committee, Spielberg said his "conscience will not allow me to continue with business as usual" while China failed to use its economic, military and diplomatic ties with Sudan to end the crisis in Darfur. Government-backed violence in the Darfur region of western Sudan has left hundreds of thousands of people dead and millions homeless.

"Sudan's Government bears the bulk of the responsibility for these ongoing crimes," he wrote. "But the international community, and particularly China, should be doing more to end the continuing human suffering there."

Spielberg's appointment in April to work with the Chinese director Zhang Yimou and others, including the Australian Ric Burch, on the opening and closing ceremonies for the Games sparked criticism by Darfur activists, who dubbed the Beijing Games the "Genocide Olympics".

Spielberg's spokesman, Andy Spahn, said the director had tried for 10 months to get China to play a more constructive role in Darfur, and had written two letters to the President, Hu Jintao.

He would work instead on relief efforts in Darfur.

Responding to the resignation, the Chinese embassy in Washington said: "As the Darfur issue is neither an internal issue of China nor is it caused by China, it is completely unreasonable, irresponsible and unfair to link the two as one."

An editorial in the Government's national mouthpiece, People's Daily, last week reiterated that those trying to politicise the Olympics were insulting the feelings of 1.3 billion Chinese and "demonising" China.

"The international community knows quite well that China has exerted a positive and constructive influence on the Darfur issue," the editorial said, pointing to the deployment of China's troops on UN-African Union peacekeeping missions in Darfur.

-SMH.COM.AU  the Sydney Morning Herald

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.