Views: 10584|Replies: 32

Fight against piracy to heat up [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2008-1-9 10:40:41 |Display all floors
http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/china/2008-01/09/content_6379904.htm
By Chen Jia (China Daily)
Updated: 2008-01-09 07:13

The government vowed Tuesday to increase its efforts to combat software piracy in a bid to ensure the development of the industry.

"Infringement has been the main culprit in slowing down the healthy development of the software industry," Wang Ziqiang, director-general of copyright bureau under the National Copyright Administration (NCA), said Tuesday at a press conference in Beijing.

He cited an American study that indicated that sales of domestically developed software would increase by $3.79 billion if the rate of software infringement in China was cut by just 10 percent.

Duan Guijian, director of the Copyright Protection Center of China (CPCC), said most software companies in China had now realized the need to apply for copyrights for their software.

Last year a record 25,666 applications were made, up 16 percent on the previous year.

Beijing topped the list with the registration of 8,666 applications last year, accounting for 35 percent of the total, the center said.

Duan said the center was working hard to shorten the copyright application process, which had been the subject of regular complaints.

"We have already shortened the process from 60 days to 30, but 15 days is now our goal," Wang said.

He said the government had strengthened its policies on infringement not only for the benefit of domestic software companies, but also to send a positive signal for further international cooperation on copyright disputes.

The government has engaged in a number of cooperative campaigns with international partners on copyright protection as part of China's commitments to the World Trade Organization.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-1-9 10:43:22 |Display all floors
As I said; I'm sure others will conveniently forget their hostility to this when proposed by me.
"Justice prevails... evil justice."

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-1-9 11:18:27 |Display all floors

60 Days!!

60 days would be unheard of in terms of quickness.  

I believe that would have to be the fastest in the world!

I have heard horror stories about how you file a patent in Japan, then it takes 5 years to prosecute, and now even the U.S. is "catching up," with an average time to first examination running about 3 years!  

8,666 though, is an anemic number.  Copyright applications in the west run into the hundreds of thousands a year, and the threshold for copyrightability is actually much lower than patents.  Given that the factories crank out hundreds of thousands of new designs each year on myriad things of all description, 100K to 200K a year sounds more reasonable.  

Better yet, have an IP house pool the copyrights and come up with an enforcement scheme (against the Walmarts, Carrefours, etc. of the world), and that can be capitalized in the tens of billions of dollars.

That's how China should leapfrog the West on IP, not by merely following the steps of the Westerners.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-1-9 11:31:42 |Display all floors
Not at all the fastest. In much of the world copyright instantly inheres in the work.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-1-9 11:43:19 |Display all floors

Hmm....

But if you don't register it, you can't sue?  I've heard that somewhere.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-1-9 20:38:03 |Display all floors
Yes and no. Once you file a suit, you must register as part of the suit but you do not need to hold a prior registration--i.e., you can initiate the suit without ever having registered. I forget whether it is only the challenger, the holder or both that must and I don't really care to search out the answer before work.

Registration in the US serves a purely archival purpose; prior registration helps in court because you have a certified piece of evidence that the work existed at that time and lawyers will tell you to always register for that reason.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-1-9 21:48:27 |Display all floors
I would doubt those figures are correct.
3.7 billion for 10%
Few Chinese people would buy the software at the inflated U.S prices.
They use a lot of software just because it's cheap.
Watch the 3.7 billion dwindle to nothing if they need to pay.
At the moment all those software brands get free marketing.
Seems pretty fair to me.
I guess the piracy will stop as the software becomes affordable to the average person.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.