Author: tradervic

Chinese and Weapons [Copy link] 中文

Gold Medal

Post time 2008-1-13 08:11:29 |Display all floors
Originally posted by interesting at 2008-1-13 07:23
Satsu,

I'm not disagreeing with demand, I'm saying that price isn't the factor in sourcing it from China. The AK-47 is a fine weapon; ever shot one?

Well, more accurately, that price isn't a  ...

Yes, I did. On fire ranges in Thailand and The Philippines.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-1-13 08:18:13 |Display all floors
Satsu,

I didn't know you liked firearms! I actually have a love-hate relationship with weapons of all kinds. I think they are great but I don't think much of a lot of firearms owners. In addition, I'm not sure I want to own one, either, because I'm not sure that it's appropriate for me to do so. I may split the difference and buy some airsoft replicas (and design some airsoft originals) when I get to Cali as there is the upside of being able to play soldier.
"Justice prevails... evil justice."

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-1-13 08:18:52 |Display all floors
Mengzhi,

Who's playing a blame game?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-1-14 22:29:16 |Display all floors
Originally posted by tradervic at 2008-1-13 03:46
My wife has used the Voice of America website to learn English, in America.

As for the CIA... you forget the rest of the puzzle palace groups, like NSA - who do operate on U.S. soil.  Then again ...

So you mean they operate inside US soil too?

JFK's?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-1-14 22:44:05 |Display all floors
Originally posted by interesting at 2008-1-13 05:17
North,

VoA cannot conduct broadcast operations on US soil because it would then compete with US broadcasters, that's the reason and there was a big fight between its proponents and the broadcasting industry over the issue when it was created....

?

What is this? VOA prohibitted to be broadcasted because it will compete with others?

The why CNN permitted to be broadcasted, no competition with CBS mentioned?

The CIA is not allowed to pursue domestic intelligence because that is the job of the FBI and the CIA was not more powerful than J Edgar Hoover.

Simply speaking, CIA is a criminal organisation and FBI is a respectable crime buster. They are not allowed to collide inside US soil.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-1-15 06:16:16 |Display all floors
North,

The US does not believe that government enterprises should compete with private enterprises. The VOA was opposed for US broadcasts because it broadcasts can consist of repackaged American media, posing a direct threat to the markets of other media suppliers and raising the specter of creating an American version of the BBC.

CNN is not "permitted" to broadcast; CNN purchased studios and equipment from private companies, marketed itself to the public and was slowly adopted by every cable and satellite provider in the nation as a basic channel. The government does not own or operate CNN, it is a privately held company beholden to its stockholders alone. CNN has a right to perform its operations derived from the First Amendment guarantees of free press; CNN requires no permission, it is the government which requires permission to meddle in the affairs of CNN.

You have demonstrated your ignorance of US media. Were you an astute observer, you would have raised the PBS and its parent, the Corporation for Public Broadcasting, which is an SOE. The answer to why PBS competes and VOA does not is quite a bit simpler: at the time of its creation, a lot of people felt that TV was a wasteland dominated by the interests of the big three broadcasters. I, personally, feel that the rise of cable and Internet has ameliorated or eliminated the need to provide educational television (almost all of PBS is documentaries, documentary series like NOVA or shows for children) as a government service and thus the corporation should be privatized, left to sink or swim as the market sees fit.

The CIA and the FBI collide routinely because their operations, especially since 9.11, bring them closer to each other. Turf wars are common and have been since the inception of the CIA.

[ Last edited by interesting at 2008-1-15 04:02 AM ]

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-1-15 07:33:35 |Display all floors
Originally posted by tradervic at 2008-1-12 22:50
My wife wonders why something that the governement considers harmful to its citizens is being sold abroard, where it can harmful to other citizens.

So, do you mean that she doesn't wonder that the US government considers the weapons are not harmful to the US citizens so that the US government can accordingly sell the weapons to other civilians/citizens?

That's no wonder why here I see people can legally process hand guns made in the USA!

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.