Views: 96186|Replies: 480

BBC biased against China [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2007-7-14 11:19:13 |Display all floors
It's been a long time I observed that the BBC is biased against China. In fact, it is biased to any countries and persons they dislike and those that does not conform to their/western values.

I'm a BBC follower. I read (website), hear (radio) and watch (tv) BBC news. They're informative and entertaining until when it comes to issues, ANY ISSUES, related to China, that it becomes grossly unpleasant.

Take the news item about a Chinese firm which is suing Google over its Chinese name for example (which you can read here).

The topic seems ok. It reports to the masses, especially the British public, what's happening in China today.

The story is about Beijing Guge Science and Technology Ltd complaining that Google's use of Chinese name confuses people. Many people phoned Guge's office to contact search engine Google. So, they think it's bad for their business.

But the story doesn't end there.

The BBC inserted a short background story about self-censorship by internet firms operating in China.
Google started its Chinese subsidiary in 2005.

Since then, it and other major IT firms such as Microsoft and Yahoo have been criticised for censoring themselves in order to enter the Chinese market.

Is there a need to do that?!

What you people think? Is it necessary to keep repeating and reminding the readers about China's internet censorship?

[ Last edited by taikor at 2007-7-14 11:23 AM ]
Malaysian-born Chinese

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-7-14 11:26:18 |Display all floors
Originally posted by taikor at 2007-7-13 21:19
What you people think? Is it necessary to keep repeating and reminding the readers about China's internet censorship?

Yes

As for the BEEB - it is a British Communication Station for the British, what more do you expect?
China's Eccentric 'Uncle Laowai' from Chicago, IL

http://blog.chinadaily.com.cn/home.php?mod=space&uid=135031&do=blog&view=me&from=space

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-7-14 11:44:25 |Display all floors
Reminder: Author is prohibited or removed, and content is automatically blocked

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-7-14 13:09:28 |Display all floors

BBC is unprofessional nowadays .

Dear taikor,

I am equally angered by the western press who keeps needling and taunting China for the slightest mistakes or imperfections. Over the years I also realize that they ( western press ) have become a third rate communication system anyhow. The BBC is also guilty of poor reportage, plagiarism , misinformation and disinformation to down right lies. Just yesterday they had a run in with their  own Queen !!The botched " organ harvesting " on China was such an amateurish and  substandard journalism I felt sorry for them altogether.

So it is the nature of the beast taikor . There are still islands of excellence in the western media but the sea of muddled thinking, feral and unprincipled trash is rapidly advancing . I do feel that China should take these taunts on the chin. These foul and bad mouthed ill-mannered press do not harm China in the long run. To dignify them with the rightful anger and anguish is to cater for the undeserved. BBC does not and should not attract our time and attention because they are unprofessional and sinking into a third division league.

Save your time and energy for something a little more valid , taikor .

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-7-14 13:39:40 |Display all floors
tradervic: it is a British Communication Station for the British, what more do you expect?

It isn't 'just' for the British people when it broadcasts globally, innit?

mengzhi: BBC is unprofessional nowadays...

I quite agree that the BBC has lost touch with professionalism when it relates on China issues but I disagree that such a treatment does not harm the Old Country at all.

Bad reputation is bad for business.

Western media has been imposing psychological barriers on Chinese businesses. Surely, that can't be a good thing.

I think it calls for tit-for-tat retaliation!

We need to confront these issues. We reject stigmatization and unfair presentation of news. We demand politics-free, ethical reporting!
Malaysian-born Chinese

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-7-14 14:29:50 |Display all floors

British Taxpayer pays the bill

Originally posted by taikor at 2007-7-13 23:39
tradervic: it is a British Communication Station for the British, what more do you expect?

It isn't 'just' for the British people when it broadcasts globally, innit?

When it is funded by the British Taxpayers:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BBC

The principal means of funding the BBC is through the television licence, costing £11.37 a month if paid by direct debit (as of February 2007). Such a licence is required to operate a broadcast television receiver within the UK. The cost of a television licence is set by the government and enforced by the criminal law. The revenue is collected privately and is paid into the central government Consolidated fund, a process defined in the Communications Act 2003. Funds are then allocated by the DCMS and Treasury and approved by Parliament via the Appropriation Act(s). Additional revenues are paid by the Department for Work and Pensions to compensate for subsidised licences for over-75s. As the state controls BBC's funding, it is sometimes referred to as a "state" broadcaster.

Income from commercial enterprises and from overseas sales of its catalogue of programmes has substantially increased over recent years, with BBC Worldwide contributing some £145 million in cash to the BBC's core public service business.

When the majority of your revenue is coming from one source, you are going to cater to that one source - no matter 'how big the audience'.
325px-BBC_income_2004_in_GBP_Redvers.png
China's Eccentric 'Uncle Laowai' from Chicago, IL

http://blog.chinadaily.com.cn/home.php?mod=space&uid=135031&do=blog&view=me&from=space

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-7-14 14:38:21 |Display all floors
Fair point.

Then it can't be truly 'international' after all. If it isn't truly international, it isn't impartial.

[ Last edited by taikor at 2007-7-14 02:39 PM ]
Malaysian-born Chinese

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.