Views: 6786|Replies: 16

My Mother Told Me So! [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2007-6-25 14:46:33 |Display all floors
What is the one expression that your mother repeated to you over and over in her efforts to "mold" you? Here are my mother's "expressions". I want to share them with all friends here and hope to share some ones from your mothers'

Two pieces of wisdom from my mother gave me an attitude that's helped throughtout my life. Through all the everyday problems of growing up---school tests, dating, marriage, work, illness...she used to remind me when she was alive " This too shall pass." Now as my son has the same problems I remind him " This too shall pass... only too soon."

When my mother died, her legacy was some advice that has helped me get through life with less worrhying. She always told me " Don't let little worries get you down." Most often, what seemed like a big problem is long forgotten in a week or two, not to menition in 5 years!

[ Last edited by hantian at 2007-6-25 02:51 PM ]

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-6-26 11:33:05 |Display all floors
My mother taught me to cook. I'm built like a horse, and ate all the time growing up making her very tired of cooking and cleaning. And with four other brothers and sisters, there were many mouths to fill. So, she said "You cook", and I did. It was good. I enjoy those memories. I don't remember everything she said, but I do remember our family gathered at the table eating what we cooked together.
Husband, father, farmer, logger, woodcutter, and rancher

Use magic tools Report

rovi297 has been deleted
Post time 2007-6-26 11:40:00 |Display all floors

Reply #2 1st_resp's post

Reminder: Author is prohibited or removed, and content is automatically blocked

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-6-26 12:17:04 |Display all floors
Well, I did pass that bit of wisdom from my mother on to my boys - If you like to eat, you better learn how to cook.

I was once leading a hunt in eastern Oregon for some elk with several business men. We spent several nights on the mountain. Two of the men knew that everyone works in camp. Even if you're the executive of a large company, when you're in the wild, you cut wood, you carry your kill, you help cook, and you help clean. They just did it naturally. But, this one man acted like we were his porters. I'll cook for you one time. I'll pour your coffee once. I won't clean your gun, and I won't make your bed. I had to tell him his mother did not come on the hunt with us, and he should find a job he liked doing. I taught him how to cook. He did okay. He didn't burn it, and we didn't die. :)
Husband, father, farmer, logger, woodcutter, and rancher

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-6-26 12:55:16 |Display all floors
Originally posted by 1st_resp at 2007-6-26 12:17
Well, I did pass that bit of wisdom from my mother on to my boys - If you like to eat, you better learn how to cook.

I was once leading a hunt in eastern Oregon for some elk with several busines ...

Mr. 1st, your story is funny. You not only passed your mother's wisdon on to your boys, but someone else.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-6-27 16:09:39 |Display all floors
My mother is not good at speaking. I can't remember what she said. She is a traditional Chinese woman, but what she did has impressed me much. When I was a teenage. We all were poor. Every family lived from hand to mouth. Not many people cared about study and culture. My mother liked buying books for us like story books, English-Chinese Dictionary, maths books. She even subscribed to newspapers and magazines such as China Youth Daily, Sichuan Youth. She also registered in our county library and got two library cards for my brother and me. That's why we take great interest in studying. My brother, my sister and I all went to college in the 1980s. We owe it to her. We are grateful to her.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-6-27 17:13:09 |Display all floors

My mother is a book

My mother is a book. she  is not a scholor .she can not say sth philosophical or profound,but she can do things philosophically. I am always angry at what she doing at first ,but then after that thing the good result will come out. My mother will always accept any complaints from me. she just let me see what she had done. And let me think.  I learned a lot from her.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.