Views: 3700|Replies: 4

CLUB Meeting report on May 13, 2007 [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2007-5-14 15:03:56 |Display all floors
Hudson prepared two topics for the CD Club’s regular meeting on May 13. Topic A was about the difference between Chinese traditional medicine and western medicine. Topic B was family talk. It is very thoughtful of him to arrange these topics for us when World Family Day is right around the corner on May 15th .

17 members showed up that day and we divided into three tables. Table I talked about a 3rd topic instead; whether a couple should have kids or not. Their presentation was made by Claude who informed us the group’s opinion was although kids are a big responsibility to the family, but they are big joy too, so they think a couple should have kids.

Joyce on behalf of the pretty girls’ group at table B made the presentation about topic A. She told us about how Crystal’s grandmother had serious problem on her legs after walking across a cold river in winter when she was young. There was no choice according to the western hospital doctor but to cut off both legs to save her life. Fortunately her grandmother is a strong minded woman who refused the doctor advise and instead just massaged her legs everyday, until one day she met a very experienced Chinese medicine doctor who then prescribed her some herbs which slowly brought her to a complete recovery! Now she’s over 84 years old and still very healthy! What a miracle! I got insomnia two years ago, I tried everything but nothing worked till I took some herbs which my mom asked the local Chinese medicine doctor to prescribe. Indeed as what James presented from his table, Chinese medicine has a very long history and is very useful for certain internal and difficult illnesses. It focuses on the causes of the disease and not just the symptoms as often western medicine does. But western medicine is fast and efficiency so the best way may be is to combine them together, in this way the medicine won’t have too strong side effects and can still be fast acting. There’s a saying as western medicine is a kind of science, Chinese medicine is a kind of art. When science and art combine together, miracles can happen!

Zeng suggested us to read 《本草纲目》 & 《黄帝内经》, and he suggested us to pay more attention to our daily meals by eating more healthy vegetables and herbs which can therefore regulate and strengthen our immune system; so we won’t get sick in the first palce and have to take medicine. Indeed 食疗 is important knowledge and if we can follow it wisely then we will get lots of benefit from it.

Why Hudson prepared topic A is to get the club members involved in learning more so we can broaden our horizons. He emphasized that the journey is not just about learning the English language itself but also to learn different points of views.

There were two newcomers which trickled into the club that day. Lele a pretty and sexy grammar middle school teacher who from Mongolia. And Arson, a software engineer, also Wendy’s friend.

Lele was very generous to share something behind the grammar with us based on her own learning and teaching experience. She elaborated the relationships and connections between nouns, verbs, objects and articles. And shared a tip on how to distinguish the countable and uncountable nouns. For example water is uncountable but rivers, lakes, and oceans are countable, the reason is because water itself has no boundary, but rivers, lakes and oceans do., Lele just finished her first trial session; I hope she will join us again and share more grammar tips with us.

Hudson prepared three simple and easy topics for us.
Melani sent a short message to greet her mother a happy festival and a happy healthy life too.
Sherry thought showing perseverance on learning English is the key point to master good English. Zeng added his point in learning about the history and culture is a must also.
John will think of starting his own hardware business or will keep studying to take the university entry exam he failed last year.. Hypothetical question ofcourse. John did pass the exame when he was a student.

Finally, our CD CLUB wishes all the mothers a very happy festival.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-5-14 18:51:52 |Display all floors
excellent article!!!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-5-16 16:08:17 |Display all floors
hi, after reading this, i m so impressed with so good activities you guys have. i will be there as long as i have the chance. however, what i m also interested is that would Crystal pls tell me the prescription which cure her grandma's legs. cause my grandma may has the same problems with her legs. 20 years early, my grandma went Beidaihe with us, it was heavy humid in that place during that period. from then on, 她的腿就受风了,走路不利索了。this situation lasts till now. so to my grandma, my biggest wish is to make her walk as a common person. I don't know whether this prescription could cure her legs well or not, but i wanna try!

i m newcomer for this club, while i cannot be there this Sunday. so i don't know whether i could meet Crystal when i m be there. it will be very appreciated if anyone could forward my request to her. thank you in advance. my MSN: joyjiccmi@hotmail.com

Look forward to Crystal's good news!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-5-17 08:47:17 |Display all floors

To Joy

Welcome to join us whenever you can Joy.
I'll forward your request  to Crystal,don't worry.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-5-17 09:18:39 |Display all floors

Reply #4 joycezou's post

Thank you so much! And look forward to meeting you soon!

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.