Views: 28808|Replies: 89

Racism against Chinese People; Selective Media [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2007-3-28 16:40:20 |Display all floors
Why are so many people in countries with Chinese immigrants so racist against them?  Why does the Chinese government (s) do nothing about this.  Why does Western Media only report things like "ABUSE IN TIBET" and "10 PEOPLE DIE IN SOUTH AFRICA" the same time Chinese people are being massacred and raped in Indonesia?
"When I am White, I win because I'm White.  When I'm Black, I win because I am Bogoljubow."

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-3-28 17:14:51 |Display all floors
Originally posted by middlekingdo at 2007-3-28 18:40
Why are so many people in countries with Chinese immigrants so racist against them?  Why does the Chinese government (s) do nothing about this.  Why does Western Media only report things like "ABUSE IN TIBET" and "10 PEOPLE DIE IN SOUTH AFRICA" the same time Chinese people are being massacred and raped in Indonesia? ...

Australian media has reported these sorts of tragic circumstances where innocent Chinese people have been attacked in Indonesia, Solomon Islands or have died due to the criminal negligence of people smugglers.

Don't worry, it's not racist like you suspect. When chinese people are victims it is reported. When Chinese authorities are the perpetrators of abuse on Chinese or other people, it is also reported. We don't selectively report things like you may see in the Chinese government propaganda outlets.
"他不是救星, 他是一个非常淘气男孩" - Monty Python

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-3-28 17:17:18 |Display all floors
Originally posted by middlekingdo at 2007-3-28 16:40
Why are so many people in countries with Chinese immigrants so racist against them?  Why does the Chinese government (s) do nothing about this.  Why does Western Media only report things like " ...

Indonesian Chinese overseas hold 70% of Indonesia economic, that's why Indonesian natives dislike them.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-3-28 17:22:07 |Display all floors
Reminder: Author is prohibited or removed, and content is automatically blocked

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-3-28 17:28:03 |Display all floors
I don't know about Australia, but here in Britain, bus crashes in the US killing 10 people would get far less coverage than a flood killing hundreds in Bangladesh, simply due to the higher numbers. Obviously, local crimes / accidents in the UK that kill relatively few people will often get more coverage than hundreds or even sometimes thousands of deaths abroad, but this is true everywhere in the world, where local news is given more emphasis than international news. But there's no racism involved: 10 white people killed in a car pile-up in the US will get no more coverage than a similar accident in China or Africa.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-3-28 17:33:16 |Display all floors
It's not about lives being worth less.
It's about the news.
And news is generally a commercially driven enterprise.
And generally follows this pattern:local, national and international.
So according to this formula a bus wreck with lives lost in let's say Indiana is of more interest to someone from another state like Iowa (and considered more newsworthy) then a flood in Bangladesh.

The news follows what the editors think their audience wants to read and they in return can charge advertising for that audience.
Of course, there are people in the news 'business' who follow a higher calling but they are too often drowned out by commercial and political interests.

Use magic tools Report

freeman has been deleted
Post time 2007-3-28 17:33:34 |Display all floors

racism

Reminder: Author is prohibited or removed, and content is automatically blocked

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.