Views: 4650|Replies: 11

Topics for Colorful Domain English Club(BJ) Gathering on March 4, 2007 [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2007-2-25 10:06:39 |Display all floors
***********************************************************************************
                                   Colorful Domain English Club (Beijing)     

email:cdclub_bj@yahoo.com.cn
                                                       Since May 30, 2004   

***********************************************************************************

Time: 10.30am-12.30pm, March 4, 2007
Venue: Byone Western Restaurant 百万庄园西餐店(朝外联合大厦店)
(It'd be highly appreciated if you could get there by 10:20 a.m.)

How to get there:Take Loop Line of the Subway, get off at Chaoyangmen Station, and take Exit A, walk around the Ministry of Foreign Affairs clockwise. The restaurant is right opposite MOFA's southeastern entrance.  

Host & Impromptu Speech Host: Hudson

Topic I —— Zi You(子尤),God of Optimism

Have you heard of Zi You, a late(已故的) young genius writer? He began to write prose at age 8 and revealed great literature talents. Unfortunately, he was hospitalized for initially mediastinal tumor (纵隔肿瘤) and subsequently leukemia(白血病) in 2004. While he was fighting, with smiles and no fear, against the fatal diseases, unbearable pains, he kept writing, and his collection (《谁的青春有我狂》) of prose, poems, and novels was released in 2005, which received widespread ovation. His diseases, however, were incurable and Death took his life on Oct. 22, 2006. Nevertheless, his spirit was imperishable and influential, that his funeral, flooded with candles, flowers and music, was held in a romantic ambience, his Mom and all the other participants smiled to bid farewell to the angelic lad. In my heart, he was the Chinese God of Optimism. What can we learn from him?

Topic II ——  Gift Money(压岁钱)

I don't suppose you're still receiving gift money from your uncles & aunts, or grandparents during the Chinese New Year holiday since you've been working or studying in university. But have you ever distributed gift money to your nieces or nephews during the holidays? How much? Some claim it's a tradition, which should be abandoned, while many people persist in the money distribution. How much do you know about the tradition? Do you think we should remove it from our tradition list?

[ Last edited by skylinker at 2007-2-25 10:08 AM ]

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-2-25 11:33:28 |Display all floors

I like both of the topics

We have to fight with lots of things in our whole life,one of them is disease. how to lead a happy life along with difficulties and disease? it's really worth to talk things out.

It's so good to come back to BJ,  I miss you guys a lot. can't wait to join this Sunday's club meeting,yay!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-2-25 14:16:02 |Display all floors

miss u

hi , guys and gals, miss u so.
I like the topic, whatever to lead a new year, new life, it is a depends on our attidute , right ?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-2-26 16:48:19 |Display all floors
In some southern cities, married people should give the single ones gift money whenever they receive blessings from the single ones. I envy my younger brother who works in Guangzhou could receive a lot of gift money after the Spring Festival holidays each year.

I am still in my hometown. Will return to Beijing on next Sunday. It's a pitty that I will miss the coming Sunday's gathering. But will see you soon in next gathering...

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-2-27 11:50:00 |Display all floors

Hey Amber,How u doing?enjoy ur trip and see u soon!

Boss will give staffs gift money on the first day back to work after spring festival in some southern provinces like GongDong,is that true?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-2-28 10:57:50 |Display all floors
hello everyone!
i'm a newcomer of english club,that's  cool topics.i will join in the discussion sunday:)

to joycezou
i think that's the fact in guangdong province. in addition, anyone can received the gift money if he or she remains single ,regardless of the age!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-2-28 11:21:52 |Display all floors

to Sisyphus

Welcome, Sisyphus, Your Majesty! It's not easy to bear that name. Huh?

No doubt we'll become friends and improve ourselves comprehensively together.

Looking forward to seeing you then.

Hudson

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.