Views: 3210|Replies: 5

One day at CD English Club--meeting minutes [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2007-2-14 11:32:00 |Display all floors
Sunday February 11, 2007.

Woke up early at around 7 o’clock something, a bit excited combined with a bit of nervousness. I got a role—meeting minutes writer! However, I fell asleep again until being waken up by telephone calls and subsequent e-mails to write to respond business requests. What a Sunday morning for me!

After hurrying through washing and breakfast, I realized I would be late for the gathering. I hate to see Hudson brandishing the sword of “Be Punctual!”. Joking apart, I really respect this stern-looking yet sociable fella who is also very capable and determined. Being lucky enough to witness his great improvements in terms of public speaking skills and organizing capacity, I feel a bit ashamed of myself. How many times we’ve been stressing: one can achieve nothing without vision, motivation and perseverance. He possesses all of these traits, no wonder. Joyce is another good example to follow. However she was absent from the meeting. She had gone home for her family reunion during the Holidays, leaving us “the homeless” suffering from “ordeals” of impromptu speeches and heated debates and discussions.

After CD President Hudson’s routine opening speech, Crystal, a doll-like girl took the floor as the Host. However tender she looks, she could put things under control, not in an aggressive way, of course. For the impromptu speech part, Titi and I volunteered to take the roles. As I was over-whelmed by my last-minute preparation, I did not pay attention to her speech making. All I could remember was the topic, i.e. what is your proudest thing? That was exactly in sharp contrast to mine—what is the most embarrassing thing in your life? The topic reminded me of an interesting and useful English idiom as in the sentences:
1.        My job was to get as much information as possible so that my boss would not be caught with her pants down;
2.        The actor was caught with his pants down when he was having sex with a prostitute in the back of his car. He was arrested and the media made a fuss of it.
Well, such thing has never happened to me and will never will.

Table discussions saw a dozen participants sitting around two tables, talking ardently over topics picked by Crystal. Our table, Ivy, Frank, Titi, Veronica and me, rushed through all three topics and finally settled down on Topic 2., i.e. the Starbucks issue. Coincidentally at later stage we realized the other table represented by Hudson also focused on the same issue. Participants formed two opposing fronts:
One, “Peacemakers” represented by Hudson, Ivy and Frank who tried to make balance between tourists’ nature demands for water and relaxation with preserving the historic background. They believed it should be alright for tea/coffee houses located inside Forbidden City under certain preconditions such as no eminent logo sign, decoration in harmony with the vermilion-walled background;
The other, “Extremists” as crowned by Hudson, represented by Crystal, Titi and me proposed a sheer No to Starbucks or any other foreign or local restaurants or tea/coffee shops visible within this historical complex, arguing that any typical modern and alien commercial thing could ruin the scene and even hurt the national pride. Furthermore they called for the need to keep the historical site the way it should be as much as impossible. “After all, the tourists are here to revere the history and the culture relics and ancient civilization. They have plenty places to go to eat and drink and relax, not here!” as put forward by Alhaji. He even went on further as to saying “Out of sight, out of mind”, which was echoed by Titi. When Ivy mentioned this was also universal practice, Mr. Q, the Korean teacher from ROK, nodded.

However heated the debate was, Hudson put it that we were here to learn the language, make friends and broaden our views, in another word, shape us more open-minded and impartial. Well, all of us had learned to agree to disagree. When it came to the social lunch time, all of us were on good terms, talking randomly just like a family.

There is a long break before our next meeting on March 4, 2007. Let’s keep anticipating meanwhile extend best wishes to all CD members for a Healthy, Lucky & Prosperous New Year!

Regards from Alhaji
:)

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-2-16 15:38:04 |Display all floors

to Alhaji

Bravo!

I cannot help exclaiming:" I haven't seen an article as good as this one written by Alhaji for long." No wonder we, all CD English Club members, have considerable stuff to learn from our elder brother Alhaji. Wait,wait, several members are, matter-of-factly, older than him. It maybe the first meeting minutes Alhaji wrote for our Club, and his debut lit up the torch in my heart. Thanks, Alhaji, for the gifts you've brought us, your legendary experiences, your intoxicating, classic and royal British English accent.....

I feel so thankful for your encouragement about my improvement, and I know, I should thank you and all the other club members for allowing me to perform on the stage of Colorful Domain English Club (Beijing).

Happy the Spring Festival, Alhaji!

Hudson

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-2-16 17:03:05 |Display all floors
It's so good to read Alhaji's report over here. it's just like you,gentle,modest,peaceful.I like it a lot.

I am hometown now enjoying the happy family reunion and delicious food.hehe

Happy spring festival guys!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-3-10 11:00:10 |Display all floors

hi, alhaji

i like your report, it is a  joyful time to read it ! you enriched this colorful domain,  i would very appreciate it if you could take more roles like this

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-3-10 16:22:28 |Display all floors
hi, dear alhaji, hudson and joyce,

i venture to apply to forward and stick this wonderful report to 12english club website for memebers their to learn and be encouraged, What a gorgeous report it is!

and hudson, could u help me arrange an special activity for two german friends who need our help with their survey on advertising in china? i recommend that they can ask you and CD english club for help   can i tell celine your number so that she can contact u the details?  thanks a lot

yours truly
wolfirst

[ Last edited by wolfirst at 2007-3-10 04:32 PM ]
12english club: Share in English in China
www.12englishclub.com

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-3-10 18:15:40 |Display all floors

to wolfirst

Hi, Wolfirst!
I've already got Celine's email and told her my cell phone number. I'm waiting for her call. I'm flying to the Philippines on the 14th and returning on 17th.

Hudson

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.