Views: 38639|Replies: 196

Foreign Teachers in China---Pro and Con [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2007-1-24 09:00:58 |Display all floors
In my educational exprience, altogether I have met roughly 10 foreign teachers. Frankly speaking, most of them weren't qualified and they made feel they were just coming to China to have fun.

According to the administration of my school, none of them could be university teachers in their own country.

So what do you think.
Save the girl, Save the future.---Heroes

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-1-24 09:11:24 |Display all floors
I think that this topic has been beaten to death in previous threads. Yes, there are some unqualified foreign teachers in China. Yes, there are qualified ones as well.

By the way, the correct "Heroes" quote is "Save the cheerleader, save the world." Though I think as of this season, it's changed to "Are you on the list?"

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-1-24 09:25:24 |Display all floors
This is true with ESL teachers in every country, though.  ESL teachers are never qualified; they usually have a BA (in anything) plus the CELTA certificate in Teaching English to Adults.  This is certainly true of myself.

If I were a fully qualified teacher, I could earn double my current salary at an international school.

sockmonkey - I suspect that only about 5% of the FTs in China are 'qualified teachers' (that is to say, they have a Bachelor of Education, or a BA and then a PGCE (Primary General Certificate of Education) which qualifies them to teach in schools in the UK.  Why would fully qualified teachers work for 5000 RMB a month when they can earn 30,000 RMB a month at International Schools, or considerably more than that in Hong Kong?

China pays its foreign teachers peanuts - don't be surprised that they aren't all properly qualified teachers.  You should be grateful with people who have Degrees at all come here to teach English.  Many will have thousands of pounds in University debt as it is.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-1-24 09:33:57 |Display all floors
Originally posted by sockmonkey at 2007-1-24 09:11
I think that this topic has been beaten to death in previous threads. Yes, there are some unqualified foreign teachers in China. Yes, there are qualified ones as well.

By the way, the correct & ...

Do you mean there is a new season of heroes? I finished at episode 11 of season one. However, as the same genre, I love 4400 better. What's your opinion?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-1-24 09:44:50 |Display all floors
The first two series of 4400 were good, but series 3 was awful, IMVHO.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-1-24 09:48:49 |Display all floors
Never watched 4400, but the new season of Heroes started last night (Monday).

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-1-24 09:49:30 |Display all floors
Originally posted by renegadedog9 at 2007-1-24 09:25
This is true with ESL teachers in every country, though.  ESL teachers are never qualified; they usually have a BA (in anything) plus the CELTA certificate in Teaching English to Adults.  This is c ...

Don't you think the price level of China is far more lower than that of Britan. The payment should fit the price index. Besides, not all teachers only focus their attention on money. According to my exprience, a large fraction of them seeks to have a good experience in China or do research.  If they want to make money, China isn't a good option, is it ?

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.