Views: 4883|Replies: 21

Do we need to celebrate foreign festivals? [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2006-12-27 14:52:09 |Display all floors
Hey guys! I just feel strange that why there is no topic about the issue that ten Chinese PhDs suggested
boycott Christmas in China? I was surprised that more than a half netizens showed their supports on the
net.  How could this happen? These people, most of whom I believe are educated students and
professionals, are against celebrating Christmas in China! How come? I remember that during my college
life, students celebrated this festival without any supports of the uni. We just did everything we could to
decorate our dorms and the campus. Nobody jumped out to tell us not to do so! I just came back from the UK where Christmas is the most important festival. Chinese students there joined in their celebrations without
hesitation. But we also celebrated Spring Festival with more passion and enthusiasm. Even UK residents  
took part in the party. Can you say that we do not love our country's culture? Be the same, people in China
have the right to have fun in Christmas and Spring Festival. Celebrating foreign festivals does not mean to  
look down our folk cultures. What is your opinion?

Use magic tools Report

chairman has been deleted
Post time 2006-12-27 14:54:35 |Display all floors

Chinese PhDs

Reminder: Author is prohibited or removed, and content is automatically blocked

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-12-27 15:39:09 |Display all floors
I'm not christian, so it doesn't BOTHER me to see others celebrating xmas, but I'm not exactly supportive of it. After all, it is a religious holiday, and I can certainly understand christians being upset over it, and I can see how some don't understand why non-christians would celebrate it. It's really not a matter of race, but of religion, because of course chinese christians can celebrate it.

I'd hate to see xmas become just another way for businesses to make money here in china. It's already largely become that in the US. If you've ever lived there at xmas time, you'll surely recall seeing xmas stuff EVERYWHERE! Restaurants, stores, the city will decorate its lamposts and public buildings (is that illegal now?).... A town near me has a public PA system and they play xmas music every evening, so you'd hear it just walking the streets. Stores have xmas things for sale before thanksgiving, and I personally would NEVER go shopping on a weekend or evening after thanksgiving! (I mean a mall or department store, not food stores). Quite frankly I sometimes found it all annoying.

When I was little, on Xmas eve, after eating, after dark, we'd take a drive to see all the people's houses lit up & decorated for xmas, and end by going to a church that had a "live manger". Not people, but it was a manger scene with fake people, but live animals inside a fenced area.
Nice memories, but the memories weren't due to commercial aspects, the nice memories were ultimately of food & family.

Don't get sucked in, no matter what your nationality or religion. If you celebrate it for a reason, think of what the reason is, and stick to it, don't just go buy a bunch of stuff, making it more commercialized.

TO ME
xmas is about:
family
love
warmth
good food
sharing
giving
enjoying the spirit of winter (where I'm from)
I am not rich.  :L

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-12-27 15:50:28 |Display all floors

Here

In Chengydu on Christmas Day many people went to the "traditional" Christmas gathering area to hit each other on the head, but

a lot of police were there some with guns, and about half the shops were closed so it was a bit dark and people gradually shuffled off home.

Explantations given to me were:

1. One year some people were killed in a stampede there so now the police disperse gatherers

2. The police were instructed to stop the celebrations because it is of a religious nature

Both ideas came from students

I prefer number 1 but have no idea if the history of a stampede is correct.

Someone maybe does know and will tell.

:)
"We know it's weakness, but the weakness is so strong!"

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-12-27 16:15:26 |Display all floors

symbol of Spring Festival

If Santa Claus and Christmas tree are symbols of Christmas, then what is the symbol of Spring Festival? I've thought about it for so many years but still got no answer. Mayber banquet? I don't know. The first thing
concerning Spring Festival I can think about is eating... although I'm slim...

Use magic tools Report

chairman has been deleted
Post time 2006-12-27 16:17:14 |Display all floors

WARMTH

Reminder: Author is prohibited or removed, and content is automatically blocked

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-12-27 16:21:36 |Display all floors
I mean THINGS not feelings... THINGS that I can touch.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.