Author: ptbptb

an ugly chen shui-bian [Copy link] 中文

crazyazn has been deleted
Post time 2007-10-11 16:18:25 |Display all floors
Reminder: Author is prohibited or removed, and content is automatically blocked

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-10-14 09:53:50 |Display all floors
the Taiwanese Li ao ever Taiwan is actually a state of America,but they can't have the genuine demcracy ,freedom as a country.But i think Taiwan can follow Hong kong to become the third special administraction  region People's Rupublic Of China.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-10-15 01:14:02 |Display all floors
Taiwan isn't a US state, not even close. I think Taiwan would be fine on its own. It's democracy is fine as well, it's at the same level of development as other Asian democracies. They seem to have a lot more freedom than the people in China do and more economic choices; they are at a higher level of development than China is; etc.

Taiwan has done fine, it's merely that the nationalists on the mainland don't want to admit it.
"Justice prevails... evil justice."

Use magic tools Report

Gold Medal

Post time 2007-10-15 10:01:43 |Display all floors
Originally posted by littlebrown at 2007-10-14 09:53
the Taiwanese Li ao ever Taiwan is actually a state of America,but they can't have the genuine demcracy ,freedom as a country.But i think Taiwan can follow Hong kong to become the third special adm ...

The way it looks right now, Taiwan is no US state but a US protectorate, similar to Saipan or American Samoa..   

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-10-15 15:40:45 |Display all floors
Actually, those aren't protectorates, they're territories. To my knowledge, the US has no protectorates; Britain has a few, including some of the Channel Islands that fell nominally within its sphere due to royal ties.

Use magic tools Report

Gold Medal

Post time 2007-10-15 16:59:28 |Display all floors
Originally posted by interesting at 2007-10-15 15:40
Actually, those aren't protectorates, they're territories. To my knowledge, the US has no protectorates; Britain has a few, including some of the Channel Islands that fell nominally within its sphe ...

Well, whether you call it an unincorporated territory of the US (Am. Samoa) or US Commonwealth of Micronesia (Saipan), fact is that they are protectorates. I didn't say colonies because the a.m territories enjoy indeed special laws (tax breaks, own immigration procedures etc.).

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-10-16 07:08:18 |Display all floors
Satsu,

No. A protectorate is a country that is nominally sovereign but who enters into an agreement by which they come under the protection of some other power, usually this will include a variety of intrusions beyond the loss of foreign policy control. These states aren't protectorates, their relationship is more similar to that of the Falklands or Diego Garcia to the UK. The US expresses sole sovereign authority over them and their territories are de jure extensions of US territory.

The reason they aren't colonies is because they aren't organized for settlement or commercial activity and some are organized only insofar as they support naval and air operations. Otherwise, there is really no difference. Puerto Rico, the US Virgin Islands and US Pacific possessions are all de jure part of US territory and have more in common with benignly governed (or neglected) colonies. They usually express powers of home rule far in excess of US states, though, because they US doesn't want to be in the colony-running business--the Philippines pretty much cured any imperialist Congressmen there were--and would thus prefer to have as little to do with their business as possible.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.